• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which is better Geforce 3 or geforce 2 ultra when u can afford both?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Angry

I can afford both cards so im wonder which one would be best...cause here are the choices that i have:
Hercules Geforce 3

MAIN
Product Name 3D Prophet 3
Chipset Nvidia GeForce3
RAMDAC (MHz) 350
Speed of core (MHz) [ Guillemot ] 200
Flavours Available AGP Only
Supported API(s) Open GL 1.2 + DirectX 8
DVC Support Yes
TwinView Support No
MEMORY
Amount of RAM (MB) 64
Type of RAM DDRAM SDRAM
Speed of RAM (Mhz) 460
Speed of RAM (GB/sec) 4.0
Bandwidth 7.36

Hercules Geforce 2 ultra

MAIN
Product Name 3D Prophet 2 Ultra
Chipset Nvidia GeForce2 Ultra
RAMDAC (MHz) 350
Speed of core (MHz) [ Guillemot ] 250
Flavours Available AGP Only
Supported API(s) OpenGL & Direct3D
DVC Support No
TwinView Support No
MEMORY
Amount of RAM (MB) 64
Type of RAM DDRAM
Speed of RAM (Mhz) 460
Speed of RAM (GB/sec) 4.0
Bandwidth 7.36

thankyou caome again

PowerProtein

Registered
Get GeForce 3, it's way better. It has a lot new features that will make games look much better. Run 3dmark2001 with G3 and G2U and you will like G3 much more.

DennisC

Registered
Here's an excellent article: http://www.procooling.com/reviews/html/visiontek-geforce_3.shtml from Pro Cooling comparing the GF3 and the GF2Ultra; lots of well-designed benchmarks and a good article in general. His conclusion gives a good run-down of the pros and cons of getting either card.

For myself, I would get the GF3, since it's more about new technology than raw speed, but I would wait. If I had to get a card right now, I would spend a couple hundred at the most on a good card, and would probably save more than that by getting the GF3 later (not to mention having the applications to justify it then).