• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which is better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JohnBoy

Registered
Which is better, the Thermalright SK6, or the Swiftech MCXC370?
I recently took off my Coolermaster HSF and cleaned up the thermal compound and applied arctic silver2 and am still at the same old temps I was at with the stock gunk on the HSF, case is 26c and cpu is at 34c at idle temps, and using CPU burn with error checking disabled for max heat generation, after 15 minutes I topped off at 43c for the cpu temp and case temp stayed the same, I have a P3 800Mhz and am not overclocking at the moment, two 80mm intake fans at bottom front of case, one 80mm exhaust at top rear of case right below the PS, and of course the PS exhaust fan, I want my temps to be the lowest I can have them before I attempt overclocking. Oh yeah, my room temp where the comp is located is at roughly 18c right now

Hey JohnBoy,

WELCOMR TO THE FORUMS

Well from a pure C/W standpoint I would say the Swifty is better.

Have a look here at the Heatsink Round Up . This was done using a die simulator test.

These results then have to take into account the conditions of your system (ambient temps, type of fan used, case ventilation, thermal compund used, proper seating, etc...)

Hope this helps.

BTW I have never used either of these HS's, Just wanted to point you in the right direction to research some information on them. Maybe someone else with some real world experience with these HS's could bring some more light.

I use the swiftech mcxc 370 w/duct and it work great for me.
1.4tbird@1654 gives me 35c@idle and 38c@full load

OK, I did read that and was hoping for input by someone who has actually used these, I also read the stick on cooling and related articles, based on my first post what can I do to lower my temps even more? From the looks of it I will go with the Swiftech

I actually had the ThermalRIGHT SK-6 for the first 3 weeks then I changed to the AOC EC-D5-825 all aluminum HS with 80MM fan.
The SK-6 ships with a Delta 7000 RPM 60MM screamer which I replaced (to save sanity) with a ThermalTAKE 4900 RPM 60MM fan.
The problem there was the temps went up. I used Artic Silver on each. The AOC actually outperforms the SK-6 by at least 6 degs C.
Why? Probably because the AOC has open fins at top and bottom and of course the 80MM fan. What got my curiousity was the price: 8 bucks! There are better HSs out there now than the SK-6. If I were you i'd look for one that has the 80MM fan.
ec.

Back