• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which is the better deal???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
???

Usually, laptop cards perform slower than their asme-name desktop counterparts by a SKU??

There are def. some deals out there on similarly configured systems. I also wouldn't go less than 4060 or 3070 in a gaming laptop. I know those games aren't difficult, but....
Yeah I am strictly going by YouTube reviews I watched that said 4080s and 4090s just get too hot. At the time they're just not worthy extra cost.

Last edited:
Yeah I am strictly going by YouTube reviews I watched you said 4080s and 4090s just get too hot.
What YT channel(s) show(s) a 4070 mobile GPU running as fast as a 4080/4090??

4080s and 4090s do run warm/hot, but, their performance doesn't suffer. The results you see are what you get.

If you look at the specs of the mobile 4070 you'll see it's not close to the desktop and is slower. Here's some specs from TPU.. look at the relative performance. You'll see a RTX 4060 is 18% FASTER than the mobile 4070. ;)

What YT channel(s) show(s) a 4070 mobile GPU running as fast as a 4080/4090??

4080s and 4090s do run warm/hot, but, their performance doesn't suffer. The results you see are what you get.

If you look at the specs of the mobile 4070 you'll see it's not close to the desktop and is slower. Here's some specs from TPU.. look at the relative performance. You'll see a RTX 4060 is 18% FASTER than the mobile 4070. ;)

Joe that is not what I was inferring....Go try finding a 4090 gaming laptop for $1500....At the time I would have paid $4 or $500 extra for even a 4080...I wasn't doing that. I found a 4070 lap at MC for about the cost of the 4060's.

Multiple YT vids suggested anything above a 4060 wasn't worth the money for gaming on a laptop...I did not bookmark them and I would rather not search for them.

I had a budget. I would also recommend to the OP not to finance a laptop...but that is a different view.

It was probably that the 4090 wasn't that much better than a 4080 due to throttling and I wasn't spending the money for either.

My requirements were for myself . I am happy with my Legion. It probably isn't right for anyone else , especially if you want to lug it around. In my original thread I got it just so my fah PC's could run 24/7 and I could finish the two games I was playing BG3 and Starfield. Now it sits there running fah and I use my Pixel book.

I have a Switch a Steam Deck and this Laptop that just sit around.

Last edited:
Joe that is not what I was inferring...
Apologies, I must've misunderstood what you were said.

Multiple YT vids suggested anything above a 4060 wasn't worth the money for gaming on a laptop...
Gotcha. Haven't run across those. There are still significant performance improvements with 4080 and 4090. Perhaps you don't get 'all' of it making it 'not worth it' in the eyes of those YTers. but that's tough to say, considering they are all cut-down versions of the desktop SKU in the first place (clocks, CUDA, etc).

I do believe you get variable performance out of these cards depending on cooling, but the difference isn't that much from the benchmarks I've seen...

Found this for 1300

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming Laptop, 15.6" WQHD IPS 165Hz, AMD Ryzen 7 7735H Up to 4.75GHz, GeForce RTX 4060, 64GB DDR5, 2TB NVMe SSD, Backlit Keyboard, Webcam, Wi-Fi 6, RJ-45, Type-C, PDG HDMI, Win 11 Pro​

1. Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming Laptop, 15.6" WQHD IPS 165Hz, AMD Ryzen 7 7735H Up to 4.75GHz, GeForce RTX 4060, 64GB DDR5, 2TB NVMe SSD, Backlit Keyboard, Webcam, Wi-Fi 6, RJ-45, Type-C, PDG HDMI, Win 11 Pro

2. View in Your Room
    ic-search-scan._CB434477302_.png Try with camera

Again you're back at cheap laptops with APUs.....why? What do you want us to do for you? We make suggestions and ask question but you seem to ignore them and just post something else up???
What did you think of the MSI listed above?

Do us a favor.... LINK to the laptop you're suggesting. The description and then a ton of images make for a huge post. All we need is a description, price and link.

Also, answer these questions...I'm not helping further until we get this info. Tired of shotgunning things out and having random cheap lappies thrown back. :shrug: :sly:

1. What size monitor do you want?
2. Preferred resolution?
3. Refresh rate?
4. Do you require further storage expansion?

Last edited:
I apologize. Monitor size anything 15 inches and above is great. With 1920 pixels horizontally and 1080 pixels vertically, is good for gaming. I'm ok with this. If you're a casual gamer, 60 Hz and 95-110 PPI should be fine. I am ok with that. I'm hoping for at least 1TB of storage. Expansion would help. I'm hearing having 16 GB of ram is typical for gaming. So that and above would be great.

No more posts until I hear from you guys

Sorry about the post with pictures. Won't happen again.

I will be financing. So anything up to 3k is fine.

Ha, turns out your pictures had links to the notebook on Amazon. Here's that link...

Looking at the specs the CPU seems fine, IMO. 7735H is an 8 core/16 thread CPU that will boost to 4.75 GHz. The integrated 680M GPU is also fine for 2D desktop work. Again IMO, 32-48 GB is the sweet spot for RAM going forward.

The problem I see with the linked notebook is a 2560 x 1440 screen matched to an RTX 4060 mobile. The RTX 4060 is a better match for a 1080p native screen, not 1440p. I agree with DFonda and think that a 4070 with a 1440p high fresh display might be the best balance. I also agree that financing a notebook is a bad idea unless you can pay it off in 4-6 payments maximum.

Sometime a picture is needed to help make a point. Don't feel like you can't post ANY pictures. Just not every Amazon picture from their page. :)

This has a 4070. Let me know what you think, please. Seems like a Beast?

Yes, that notebook looks like a beast... A heat producing, followed by throttling beast. :) lol
Personally I would stay away from Intel 9 Ultra, i9, and AMD R9 series in a notebook. They just seem to pull too much power/heat for the environment they have been forced to operate. I would go for an Intel 7 Ultra, i7 or AMD R7 series CPU. They still have plenty of processing power but are a little easier on the heatsink & fan, IMO. Others may feel differently about that, as I said, just my opinion.
Otherwise, it looks like a nice machine.

Back