• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which is which?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay I will keep that in mind but I am happy being stable for 10mins running prime95. I thought Aida64 was or Intel only?

Okay I will keep that in mind but I am happy being stable for 10mins running prime95. I thought Aida64 was or Intel only?

No, it's for both Intel and AMD. Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU) is only for Intel. I'm encouraging you to run these other stress tests to make sure you are stable as 10 minutes of passing Prime95 is far from a confirmation of stability. With Prime95 we would consider passing 2 hr. of stress testing as demonstrating stability.

Ah I get you, Okay I will download Aida64 and try it when i get home. But there is a trial and paid version right? I will just get the trial for now. Which would you recommend between Reachbench and Aida64? How does AOD stability test compare to these stress tests?

The trial version is the same as the paid version but you are limited to 30 days of use with the trial. I would run that one at least 5 hr. to confirm stability. With that one I usually just start it at bedtime and let it run all night. Temps will be significantly cooler than when stress testing with Prime95 but yet using a long stress test AIDA64 Extreme is a pretty reliable tool. I would probably run Realbench CPU test as well for 3-4 hr. You can set the time limit on that one. It's always best to use more than one stability testing tool as different ones test in different ways. AIDA64 Extreme has become very popular since many people discovered that their cooling systems just could not handle the newer versions of Prime95 with the AVX2 instruction set. The Asus motherboard company actually warned against using the newer versions of Prime95 because of the extreme heat they can produce.

Realbench is gaining popularity as well. When you run it you can see that testing uses real world applications like the Handbrake video encoder.

We've beginning to realize that the goal in stress testing is to confirm the stability of our overclock, not to test the power of our cooling systems.

Okay well i downloaded Realbench and I will run it tomorrow. But I have a concern. Will leaving my computer on while it crashes (like if its unstable) damage anything? To test it i will have to let it run while i am not around. I am worried about leaving it hanging or crashed for any length of time.

No, won't hurt anything. If you can, observe Realbench for 15 minutes tomorrow after you start it to make sure temps are not excessive. They will be about as high as they're going to get after that amount of time.

Well I ran real bench for 38 mins and the temps were bouncing around tjmax. But it never throttled. It also didn't crash but I didn't feel comfortable leaving it run with the temps that high. I know this will require another thread but I got a weird code (56) which is invalid CPU type or speed. Never had that before and I got that code after I restarted my computer. Not to worried. It posted after another restart and is running. And I am having some boot problems with code (10) which is PCI in progress. But it hangs. I believe it's a bad ram stick but I'm waiting for it to stop booting to diagnose.

Dpg3456, what are you cooling the CPU with? I forget now. This thread has gotten long. And that reminds me. You should create a Signature to list your system components and have them show with every post you make. That really helps folks to help you - especially those that join the thread late. The "Sig" tool is in My Profile found in the upper right corner of the forum page. Just click on that and scroll down the left side. You'll see it there.

Just about everyone shooting for 5 ghz on the 8 core FX CPUs finds they need custom water cooling to get there.

It's all good. I do have a sig but I am posting from my phone and idk why it's not adding my sig. On top of this page my post has a sig. It's a h115.

Would a really good air cooler do better than my h115?

And yeah this thread has gotten long. I'll end it soon.

Dpg3456, what are you cooling the CPU with? I forget now. This thread has gotten long. And that reminds me. You should create a Signature to list your system components and have them show with every post you make. That really helps folks to help you - especially those that join the thread late. The "Sig" tool is in My Profile Settings found in the upper right corner of the forum page. Just click on that and scroll down the left side. You'll see it there.

Just about everyone shooting for 5 ghz on the 8 core FX CPUs finds they need custom water cooling to get there.

I have a sig but it wasn't showing up. Mid way through the thread it was suggested that I did that and I did. For cooling I have a Corsair h115 extreme cooling.

Now your sig is showing up. There used to be a policy on the forum that you had to have a certain number of posts before you could create a sig. I don't know if that is still true.

Back