• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Memory to buy to O.C q9550

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

parthtrivedi

Disabled
I know this is an old rig..but I want to O.C the best I can before I upgrade to bloomfield(whenever that may release),

My current specs: Cpu :- q9550 333x8.5 = 2.83ghz stock
Mobo :- Asus p5q - e
GPU : Radeon HD 6770
PSU :- VS450
Cooler :- Hyper 212x
RAM : currently only have 2gb Transcend Ram cl4 ddr2 - 800 (without any fancy heatsinks etc)
I am planning to get 8gb memory now(I Know i shouldn't spend on this dinosaur anymore, but unfortunately I can't upgrade right now and need memory asap)

So my question is if I push my board FSB to 480+ the ram will get pushed to 960mhz, since I've heard my board can only have 1:1 divider and not lower.

So is it okay if I buy the other 3 sticks of the same transcend cl4 ddr2 - 800 and relax the timings to 6-6-6-21 and O.C the ram to match 480mhz FSB?
or do I need those 1066 high speed ram sticks (4 of them 2gb ones) cuz they're really expensive considering they're obsolete

AND if I get transcend 800mhz ones will this RAM giveup and bottleneck my O.C.

Thanking you guys in anticipation of a friendly reply.
Cheers and Happy New Year

Last edited:
Bloomfield has been out for years...
Do you mean Broadwell?

You can OC the CPU without changing RAM unless you're on the minimum RAM multiplier already.

Im sorry I meant broadwell.
I'm on minimum ram multi already...
My question is can my ram this one

Like can this ram endure 950mhz?

It's possible, you'll just have to test it and see.
Prime95 set to Blend tests RAM fairly heavily. Just OC it and see if it's stable for two hours on Prime95.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear but I haven't actually bought the ram I will only buy those ddr2 800 ones of they can post at 950mhz..

Thanks for your help anyways...

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear but I haven't actually bought the ram I will only buy those ddr2 800 ones of they can post at 950mhz..

Thanks for your help anyways...

Same answer, it's possible.
You can't guarantee how far any component will overclock.
It may overclock to 1200MHz, it may only run 800MHz.

That's why I was hoping someone who's already tested the waters may reply...:)

It won't matter if someone has the exact same model.
RAM overclocking is much like a CPU. One CPU may do 5GHz while one of the exact same model may only do 4.5GHz.

Parthtrivedi, are you in India? I noticed the link to your transcend RAM was priced in Rs.

You can try overclocking the one stick in your system. You should be able to manually set the timings and set a higher divider.

Parthtrivedi, are you in India? I noticed the link to your transcend RAM was priced in Rs.

You can try overclocking the one stick in your system. You should be able to manually set the timings and set a higher divider.

Yes I'm from India mumbai.. But can u please elaborate on what you mean by changing the timings.. its on 4-4-4-15 right now I can relax it to 6-6-6-21 after doing so will it go on 960++ mhz

Last edited:
BTW. Just saw your profile hvac tech...I'm a MEP contractor here in India mainly into plumbing fire fighting and electrical

Yes, I'm talking about manually changing the timings in BIOS. If it doesn't work you will need to reset the BIOS, so be sure you are familiar on how to do that. Also make note of everything in BIOS that is not Default so you can quickly set everything back.

I'd try 6-6-6-21, set the DRAM voltage to 2.05v, and see if you have a DRAM divider that will get you DDR2-1000. Like ATMINSIDE said, the only way to see if it will work is to try it. Scary, but fun at the same time. lol

I work for a building owner and take care of the HVAC systems for about 10 of their mid-rise buildings. We work with several MEP contractors too.

Haha...yes the fun is in taking the risk..thanks a ton for your valuable inputs.
would like to know more about the HVAC systems and SOPs there in atlanta, can you share any of your IM usernames with me? (facebook, whatsapp etc?)

I'm an architect heading this firm and currently working in SE ASIA and AFRICA would like to touch base in the states.

EDIT: the rated voltage is 1.8v and I read somewhere that for a 24/7 O.C the safest a stick can take is 1.9v is that true?
also If im overvolting the ram do I need to bump the MCB(northbridge) as well?

Back