• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which monitor should I buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matas55

Registered
Hello.

I am new to OCF but I wanted to check before buying.
So I had LCD SAMSUNG SyncMaster171P, '19, 4:3, 1280x1024... I had it for about 8 years. A few weeks ago it died. So now I hooked my PC to my large SAMSUNG TV via VGA.
I need a new monitor.
I am thinking between 4:3 '19 1280x1024 and 16: .. 1920x1080 '21.5.

I have a few questions.
1. Does quality decrease with same native resolution in bigger displays (1920x1080 in '21.5 '22 '23 '24...)?
2. Would my PC run latest games 30FPS+ at 1920x1080 ON MAX SETTINGS, if it did with old monitor?
3. How would you rate this for gaming? (Response, etc....) http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS19CBBABV/ZA

My specs:
Q9400 2.66Ghz
ASUS GTX 285
4GB DDR2 800MHz

Last edited:
Generally 1080p is plenty up to like a 40" display, but yes, as the size increases, you lose sharpness at the same native res.

I'm not sure if you'd be able to run at 1080p on that GPU... it might work though. I'll let someone else answer that :)

That looks to be a decent panel, though, i'm not one for 4:3 screens after using 16:10 for so long.

Another important question here:
Does sharpness differ for eye at 1280x1024 native in both '17 and '19 displays?

For $250 you should be able to find an entry level IPS monitor.
I am not knowledgeable on this. In general the quality of video depends on the demands of the games played, the monitor resolution, the video card capabilities, and the settings desired.
An eight year old monitor is in the anything is an improvement catagory.

Generally, going from a 3:4 monitor you would want a 23 or 24 inch monitor to retain the "height" (or some of it) you are used to. 22 inch is acceptable. 23 or 24 just seem to offer the best price/performance.

Asus is the most often mentioned LED LCD monitor, Dell and BenQ for IPS monitors. You will need to google best computer monitors. Also follow back previous reccommendations.

My experience is with Viewsonic, HannsG, and Acer.
I tend to buy whats on sale as I do not place great demands on my monitors.

newegg has an Asus VS247H-P 23.6 INCH for $159 (thru 12/26 that includes $30 off with code for email members, I think "newmember10" might save another $10.
Acer GBS HAbd23 is $109.99 till 12/26

Asus and LG offer IPS monitors around $200 to start.

newegg has some NEC LCD business monitors for 10% off (not LED) if that is your desire.

Compare prices with AMAZON and your favorite "price search" before purchase

For you I would reccommend the Asus or the Acer if you are in a hurry and updating your video card if necessary. Not an expert opinion but well meant.

AT 1080p sharpness depends on quality of monitor up to about 30-40 inches depending on source information.
17 to 19 to 22 to 23-24 will show no difference except between ordinary and IPS panels.

Last edited:
4:3 displays are kind of outdated, you should be going something that is 1080P as that is the new standard. As someone said, you'd want something in the 23-24" range.

Thanks for info.
My PC is outdated. Well I still run SKYRIM and BF3 max, buts its dated.
My motherboard doesn't allow for a good CPU or RAM upgrade http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2871#sp.

Even if I buy GTX 580 or the next 6xx best single card I doubt it would help a lot on its own for future. Sadly my PC is at the edge now... Damm, how fast they age :D.
I've read enough stuff on internet that made me think that 1920x1080 requires yearly upgrades. So I am looking for 4:3 to play max for now and a few more years just to be able to run games...

So what do you think of this http://www.samsung.com/us/business/monitors/LS19CBBABV/ZA ??

Last edited:
You might want to look at Staples ads, they are listing 19 inch refurbished monitors with one year warranty's for $90-110. Seems a worthwhile alternative. These are your resolution I believe.

As stated newegg has 10% off some NEC business monitors.

I do not understand your comment 1080p requires yearly upgrades. Why?? Your video card may need a firmware update or drivers, possibly. Most on line media is 720p at best. My internet conection or whatever often plays at 480 or less. all on 1080p monitors and TV.
i WILL dig out my old Sylvania 17 inch VGA and see what I get, not that it applies exactly.
Windows Vista and 7, and I think XP will have generic drivers for 1920x 1080 resolution.

Looking at your motherboard link (is it correct?) you can run to a Core 2 Extreme QX9770 CPU. not cost effective but what are you running? A 32 bit OS? Motherboard would upgrade to 2X4gb DDR3 1600 cas9 FOR $40 if not. Opps you have a Q9400.

Your video card or monitor has to be bottlenecking, most new games are more CPU than GPU dependent and neither the Q9400 nor a GTX285 should be a problem except at extreme settings.

I am not expert so I could be wrong, but please check.

Last edited:
For the price... That monitor is a silly choice. You're going against recommendations here so clearly you WANT that Samsung monitor.. Right?

Your GTX 285 will NOT play Skyrim MAXED at 1080p. But with the extra screen space and resolution; I dare say it would LOOK better at 1080p with High settings with AA off; than at your lower setting with AA on.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=320-2807

Would be my choice of monitor. I'm partial to Dells. And you still get your Business look ;). IPS panel too. Mind you I'm sure you could search around on other sites and find it cheaper than directly from Dell.

Your GTX 285 performs similar to a GTX 460 1GB in most cases. That card can still run a high majority of games on High settings at 1080p..

Your current monitor.. Your GTX 285 isn't even stretching its legs.. At that resolution; it's more CPU based.. I would say OC your CPU and grab a new 23-24 inch 1080p monitor. And you'll still be sweet =).

Well, after I upgraded from 1x 15" and 1x 19", to an HP 2311X, 1080p, HDMI, I can sense no performance difference, but it looks so much better. And I run a OCed 440, 1080p runs just as fast as whatever it was I was using before. If you get a new monitor, make sure it is LED back lit. Your 285 should easily handle it.

My first choise is.
http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/...dex.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=specification
Alternatively second one is that 4:3 B1940R.
Maybe they'll let me return the monitor if it lags...

I've never used widescreen before on PC, until now on TV ;D
I don't know if I should either take 16:9 or 16:10.

And whats the deal with 1080p? Is this some kind of marketing for those displays and Tv's or is that maximum quality for games and movies on any display...?..? I always though that max res looks same on any dimension ('17- '30).

I am also kind of guy that only buys SAMSUNG or SONY TV's, monitors... I didn't see any SONY monitors lately. Anyone know if they still make them and if they are still any good?

Last edited:
The deal with 1080p is that you get a 1920 pixel count from right to left to a 1080 pixel count from top to bottom. This gives you a total pixel count of 2 073 600 pixels in once screen. The smaller your screen is the nicer your picture will look because of the density of the pixel count. All TV(Screens) are in aspect ratio of 16:9 but not all movies are filmed in that ratio some directors film in 16:10 which is better for Theaters.

I was and still am running a ASUS lcd vh242h and I run it with a gtx260 until it had issues. Your GPU will have no issues with running that screen now as newer games that demand more out of your gpu you will have to play on lower settings. but you will then get to play with the screen and settings to make it work for you.

When buying any screen you want to look for there true response time most new screens will say 2ms. Now the question is how did they try to achieve that was it under normal watching conditions or when they went from black to white. also what is there true contrast not dynamic the higher the better. This will help you get better colors out of your lcd screen.

And there is only 4 people(brands) that make LCD screens Sony/Samsung have one plant together, Sharp, LG and Panasonic ever other screen that is an LCD is made in there plants.

1. Does quality decrease with same native resolution in bigger displays (1920x1080 in '21.5 '22 '23 '24...)?
For that size not normally and it also depends how close you sit to your screen. but the smaller your screen the better FPS you should in theory you should get.

2. Would my PC run latest games 30FPS+ at 1920x1080 ON MAX SETTINGS, if it did with old monitor?
Perhaps but it depends on the game if its an older game or a newer game. but seeing that most new games are done for 16:9 aspect ratio so if your playing on a 4:3 your not playing the game in its normal ratio you are condensing the screen so you not get the full field of view from your monitor. Meaning the left and right sides are being chopped off.

3. How would you rate this for gaming?
As for any Screen you want to purchase look for the fastest responsive time 2ms but see how the manufacture achieved this under what conditions. Also look for dynamic contrast, you want real contrast not dynamic but not all manufactures will say the higher the better, and the more in-depth colours you will see in your pictures.

Back