• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Motherboard do I have?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Glyde

I'm a real newb when it comes to hardware. My question is, how do I cheack what motherboard I have? I'm looking at buying an nVidia Geforce fx 5200 but I need to know if I have an AGP port in the computer I'm buying it for. Where is the motherboard info stored in my comp? O, I'm on XP by the way. Thanks.

Gnufsh

Just pop the case open and look for an AGP slot.
Check out the "How AGP works," for some info, and to familiarize yourself with what the cards and slots look like:
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/agp.htm

And I attached a picture I've shamelessly copied from ocworkbench.com in which I've circled the AGP slot in red. The retention clip on the end may look different on your board.

Attachments

• jetway7552.jpg
    jetway7552.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 68
OP
G

Glyde

It says I have an: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL/GV Brookdale Host-Hub . I'm popping open my case right now. I would of done that earlier but I didn't know what one looked like.

OP
G

Glyde

O, no. Looks like there isn't one in that comp. So if I get a PCI version of a card would be a hugely significant drop in quality while playing games versus having the same card but with an AGP interface?

deadkenny

I would recommend against the FX5200 in any case. With a PCI card you'll end up paying more for worse performance, and have far less choice. If you really need / want a decent video upgrade, I would suggest that you consider upgrading the m/b to one with an AGP slot. A GF4 Ti 4200 or a comparable ATI card would be a more cost effective upgrade than a FX5200.

Xstatic

a fx5600 is slightly more in price but will yeild better performance. But you will still need agp. Get a cheep mobo for like $60 and put it in there. You will be happy you did.

huneycutt

A friend has a whiz bang 128MB card and I have a 64MB PNY and running typical home user apps like I do we see no difference between his picture and mine. He starts honking on those 3D games and you better believe there's a difference, but since I don't game I'll stick with the old PNY.