• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which motherboard is best??? Please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

meis

I need some recomendations on which motherboard to get. I will be running an AMD Athlon 1.33ghz with a 266 FSB along with 256mb DDR. I am looking at the IWILL KA266 (non-raid) and the ASUS A7M266. Anything I should know about these, or any other suggestions?

those are both very good motherboards, you should be happy with either!

I would suggest the KT7A-Raid as this board really performs well and Abits support and FAQ on there site are of a high quality as well.. well worth the money

DDR mem doesn't mean much of a system speed increase at the clock speeds we run at now. The CPU just doesn't allow the super fast DDR, and RAMBUS for that matter, to strut their stuff. I just bought an ASUS A7V133 because the KT133A chipset is stable, mature and very good priced. It also has good OC features as well. I think super fast memory will be more of a real speed increase when we get to 2-3Ghz systems. Maybe higher than that. Peace. :)

Yeah but DDR may go through an evolutionary change and then you are stuck. Metaxas' experiences with it are enough to keep me with my dirt cheap Crucial CAS2 PC133. It's ot worth it for the performace difference. Spend the money on some super cooling, toast a couple of chips and have some fun instead.

I'll also second the KT7A-R recommendation. I have five KT7 boards. Once you get them sorted out and fully tweeked, they are The Motherboard.

That sounds like Elizabeth Taylor outlook on marriage, kiss enough frogs you will eventually find a prince. No thanks. My KK 266 R has run great since day one. I have more important things to do than spend gray hairs on a MOBO that should work out of the box.

meis (May 10, 2001 05:51 p.m.):
I need some recomendations on which motherboard to get. I will be running an AMD Athlon 1.33ghz with a 266 FSB along with 256mb DDR. I am looking at the IWILL KA266 (non-raid) and the ASUS A7M266. Anything I should know about these, or any other suggestions?

Although DDR prices have become reasonable, there is a possibility that as DDR evolves you may be stuck on a path that is not upgradable.. If that isn't a concern then either of the boards you mentioned should serve you well.

Back