• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which of these OCZ packs is the better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

disco_bazoon

Which of these OCZ packs is the best?

Okay, as I mentioned in some other thread here, I'm in the marked for new ram. I want 2x512 for dual channel use. Now, I don't need ram which will do extremely high frequencies, as I'm runnning my FSB only at 225 anyway, but of course, I'd like it to do a bit more. So I've been looking for ram with good timings instead, until I saw the OCZ EB sticks. How would these perform to the "conventional" OCZ EL sticks?
Either:
OCZ 1024MB E.B. Dual Channel Platinum
- PC-3200 2x512MB (2,5-3-2-8) 400Mhz
or
OCZ 1024MB Dual Channel Platinum Edition
- PC-3200 2x512MB (2-3-2-5) 400Mhz E.L. ?

The EB costs a tad more, but not much. Which of these should I go for, considering my system listed in sig?

On the NF7-S I would recommend the EB. It tends to perform better on that particular board, especially if you intend on overclocking at all.

Yeah, I am of course overclocking, but as I'm sitting on an AMD motherboard, with limited FSB capabilites, I don't need memory that does 250++ FSB, if you get me.
Anyway, would the EB beat the EL Plat. performance wise @ 225 FSB (450MHz) at the stated timings? (2,5-3-2-8 on the EB, and 2-3-2-5 on the EL plat.)

Hmm... They're using CH-5 chips, right? The CH-5 I'm using now can do 240FSB @ 2-2-3-11 just fine :/
So the EB would be my best bet?

SeanOMatic said:
On the NF7-S I would recommend the EB. It tends to perform better on that particular board, especially if you intend on overclocking at all.

Dude, this guy WORKS for OCZ.. I think you can trust his advice ;)

disco_bazoon said:
Hmm... They're using CH-5 chips, right? The CH-5 I'm using now can do 240FSB @ 2-2-3-11 just fine :/
So the EB would be my best bet?
I'm not sure I understand why you want to upgrade. You have CH-5 that will do 240 at better timings than the ones listed but you don't want RAM that will do 250? Why upgrade from CH-5 that will do a speed to CH-5 that might do the speed? If you are upgrading to have more then why buy the same thing when there is better for roughly the same cost?

Uh, well, I want 1gig, but I can't find 512meg sticks of I have now.
I'm guessing I've been lucky to find these cheap twinmos sticks that do pretty good speeds. So, when I am to upgrade anyway, I want to get something that will most likely do the speeds I want, and not bet on my luck again :p
Anyway, anyone here with EB sticks that can share their experience? How high are these sticks most likely to go?

I don't have them yet, but I plan on getting PC3700 EB sticks for my new system. The reviews seem pretty positive, and I've spent quite a while determining what RAM I was going to buy. I expect EB outperforms EL.

Yeah, been reading up alot during the last couple of days, and I'm leaning towards the PC3500 EB's now. Hopefully the prices will drop a bit soon...

Back