• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Which of these RAM cards is best for gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XDMickeYXD

Registered
Hello,

I'm building a PC and I'm having difficulty deciding which of these RAMs is best for my gaming pc, they all seem very similar...

Either one of these:
Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9G
Corsair CML16GX3M2A1600C9

Or one of these:
Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10R
Corsair CML16GX3M2A1600C10R

Also, is there any reason not to get the Low Profile version since the price (and apparently the specs) are the same?

Or if none of the above, perhaps this Kingston one?
Kingston KHX16C9K2/16X

Quick list my intended parts, for reference:
Case: Corsair Carbide 400R
I'm not sure what motherboard I'll be getting exactly, I've heard ASRock is a pretty reliable brand,
although retailers here in the Netherlands don't seem to have ASRock stuff for whatever reason... UPDATE: will be getting the ASRock Z77 Extreme6, found a retailer that sells it.
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k
GPU: 1x EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ 4GB w/Backplate
PSU: Corsair GS700 80 Plus Bronze Corsair Professional 650W, I prefer modular ;)
UPDATE: PCPartPicker link

Thanks for any help,

-XDMickeYXD

P.S. Will I need a wired/wireless network adapter (if so, which?), or are they (sort of) included in the motherboard like with sound cards?

Last edited:
The only difference with the two Corsair sets you posted are in fact the heatsinks. There's no reason to get the one with the biggest heatsink unless you plan on overclocking your ram a lot.
On the other hand, if your ram hs is too tall, then you might have some trouble fitting the cpu hs.

I suggest purchasing the red corsair ram since they're 1600 MHz (more important than timings). I can see that the SPD is CL9, but they're only tested for CL10 timings. I suppose you could lower the timings yourself and save some money.

You can see in my sig that I have chosen some LP Vengance 1333MHz CL9 ram. They overclock easily to 1600MHz+
In that regard, you could probably save even more on purchasing some lower spec ram instead.
It also depends on the motherboard though.

You won't need a seperate network adapter unless you want to go wireless.

I've got no advice on a board. Personally, I have had no issues with my Gigabyte or Asus boards and you just gotta pick a board for the things you need it to do. There are many options.

Last edited:
Ram is Ram is ram...

Just purchase the cheapest DDR3 1600MHz 1.5v sticks you can find that you like the looks of.

The only difference with the two Corsair sets you posted are in fact the heatsinks. There's no reason to get the one with the biggest heatsink unless you plan on overclocking your ram a lot.
On the other hand, if your ram hs is too tall, then you might have some trouble fitting the cpu hs.

I suggest purchasing the red corsair ram since they're 1600 MHz (more important than timings). I can see that the SPD is CL9, but they're only tested for CL10 timings. I suppose you could lower the timings yourself and save some money.

You can see in my sig that I have chosen some LP Vengance 1333MHz CL9 ram. They overclock easily to 1600MHz+
In that regard, you could probably save even more on purchasing some lower spec ram instead.
It also depends on the motherboard though.

You won't need a seperate network adapter unless you want to go wireless.

I've got no advice on a board. Personally, I have had no issues with my Gigabyte or Asus boards and you just gotta pick a board for the things you need it to do. There are many options.

Ram is Ram is ram...

Just purchase the cheapest DDR3 1600MHz 1.5v sticks you can find that you like the looks of.

Thanks for your help :)
I'll be getting this one.
(And the ASRock Z77 Extreme6 motherboard)

If you're just gaming, don't need 16GB. 8GB is MORE than enough.

For the motherboard, get the ASRock Extreme6 if you want to OC bove 4.7GHz or so. The Extreme3 or Extreme4 should be fine until 4.5-4.6GHz. If you can't find ASRock where you live, look at the Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H as an alternative.

If you're just gaming, don't need 16GB. 8GB is MORE than enough.

For the motherboard, get the ASRock Extreme6 if you want to OC bove 4.7GHz or so. The Extreme3 or Extreme4 should be fine until 4.5-4.6GHz. If you can't find ASRock where you live, look at the Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H as an alternative.

It's all about the different ports/connections in this case, and it'd be nice to have the option to overclock of course.

Still, 16GB is nice to have, just in case....
This.

Lots of things are nice to have, but it's money down the drain if you never utilize it. :thup:
Well said, but I'll also be working in programs like Autodesk Maya and Adobe After Effects, I forgot to mention that.
Plus, I multitask a lot, so RAM is nice to have esp. since the one I'll be getting is not that expensive and still high performance.

And if you're curious, these are the parts I'll most likely be getting, including peripherals.
I'm hoping to order them tomorrow so that I may start putting it together and of course game once they arrive :)
I just need to pick a good monitor... I'll link you guys to the thread in the monitors subforum once I start it.

Back