• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which P4 and mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nodsetse

Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2002
Location
San Diego, CA, USA
Well since you've waited this long, can you wait one more month? Around that time there's a good chance the Granite Bay chipset based mobos will be available, and that's what you'll want due to the performance dual-channel DDR will bring. There's also a good possibility Intel will launch the 3.06 by then, they're scheduled to have another price drop, and we should see some of the lower speed C1 stepping chips showing up about the same time. If you're patient, you'll get more performance and spend less money! ;)
 

Darryl_D

Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2002
alas this is a problem that we all must face sooner or later! :( to wait or not to wait that is the question! Well i can tell you that motherboards are replaceable (despite popular belief) so if you really can't wait,thengo ahead,and if you really really want dualchannel ddr you can always buy another motherboard for it.As far as right now,iwould reccomend for you the asus p4pe or the abit be7 (both based on the intel 845pe chipset) the type of processor i would reccomend is the 2.4b (comming in at $190 at googlegear! Notbad considering last year at this time the 1.8A was going for that price ;) )
 

batboy

Senior Moment
Joined
Jan 12, 2001
Location
Kansas, USA
Young DD wrote a worthy post... except for the last sentence... hehehe... sorry to get technical, but the 1.8A was not available until last January. There were no Northwoods on the market at this time last year.