• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which RAM is for me ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just picked up some G.Skill 1066 the other day - so far quite happy with it. I've used G.Skill for other peoples build before and been happy as well.

You picked up the G.Skill PK ?

This is also a kit proposing good performances according to some tests.

I think I'm going to study all that a little more.

Thank you for your advices.

So I think I'm going to get the HyperX.

Sounds weird since a lot of people on this forum has G.SKill memory in their signature... lol

Here is the original message with the Kingston's answer :

Summary of your request
Part Number: KHX8500D2K2/4GR
Quantity: 2
Model: Maximus Formula Motherboard
Description:

Hi.

I would like to get 8 GB of Kingston HyperX RAM.

Unfortunately, Kingston does not provide 8 GB kit.

I would like to know if there is a danger in the compatibility or for the performance when buying two kits of KHX8500D2K2/4GR. Some people told me it would be better to get a 8 GB kit since the memory sticks are built and tested to work with each other and since the sticks are identicals.

I have an Asus Maximus Formula motherboard.

Thank you.

----------------

Dear **********,

Your only option is to install one or two at a time on this board. No, you will not have a problem running two kits of 4GB. However, as you may know, this memory is built with aggressive timings and may involve overclocking the motherboard. Because this practice is not endorsed by any motherboard manufacturer, we do not list it as compatible nor do we test for compatibility. You may have to install the memory and enter the memory timings in the BIOS manually to see if the motherboard will accept it.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to reply to this e-mail with full email history. Thank you for using Kingston on-line technical support.

Regards,

I think I'm going to buy the HyperX kits. It seems reliable, fast, good quality heat spreader, good quality/price ratio and overclockable up to 1100 Mhz. Seems good to me and I don't have the risk of the 100 Mhz overclock to get a 500x8 CPU configuration when I'll overclock my processor.

Any other advices ?

Thank you.

Ghost26

I've two kits of these running awhile now and work well, the 1150's weren't available in most places at the time I think those look nice also.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227289

Ive had it up around 1100 just messing about, but till I get the Q9650 in here soon not sure how far can really push it. Hadn't bothered really and usually just leave it there, it's been very stable just at the recommended.

The non-flex 1150 looks interesting too, for we non liquid types I guess :) Might be looking at some of that in the future with the new CPU coming.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227406

Last edited:
The G.Skill is 4-4-4-12 at 900, meaning it can almost surely do 1000 at 5-5-5-15, and maybe even 4-4-4-12 if you are lucky. I think the G.Skill kit is a better choice.

Not many sticks (especially in this price range) can do 4-4-4-12 at 1000, though. My OCZ Reaper can, but it's rated for 1150mhz CAS 5 (it can do 3-3-3-sth at 800 mhz).

The G.Skill is 4-4-4-12 at 900, meaning it can almost surely do 1000 at 5-5-5-15, and maybe even 4-4-4-12 if you are lucky. I think the G.Skill kit is a better choice.

Not many sticks (especially in this price range) can do 4-4-4-12 at 1000, though. My OCZ Reaper can, but it's rated for 1150mhz CAS 5 (it can do 3-3-3-sth at 800 mhz).

Those GSkill don't like cas5, and won't do 1000 MHz.

That's what I've read too. The G.Skill PI 7200 aren't very overclockable.

the OCZ Reaper are just cost too much for me. Remember I'm in Canada, so a 60 $ USD means here a 85 $ CND. And tehre is a limit of one mail-in-rebate per household. Multiple purchases on a single product only qualify for one rebate per promotion. So final price will be higher than a HyperX kit.

Thank you for your advices.

I live in Canada, too :). I got my 2x1GB Reaper HTC DDR2-1150 CAS 5 for $35 after rebate. That's not too bad I figured... 2x1GB ballistix DDR2-800 CAS 4 costs about $30. (all CDN. I bought them when USD:CDN ~= 1, though)

For rebate, just get your neighbour to buy it for you?

NCIX always has those wicked memory sales.

Definitively, the price of the Reaper is too high. The kit is 25 $ more after the mail-in-rebate.

For the neighbor trick, I don't think this can work. There's only one mailing address on the bill. I'd have to buy two times the same kit with different shipping address, paying twice the shipping fees. I wouldn't save anything, while I know the HyperX sticks do the same job....

I only want the best bang for the buck for 8 GB of RAM. Not the highest end RAM available on the market ;)

I got them for $35 for 2GB (so $70 for 4GB), and that's only $5 more than the HyperX. They are selling for $120 now, though, which I agree is a bit too expensive :p.
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=23484&vpn=OCZ2RPR11502GK&manufacture=OCZ Technology

If you are not in a hurry, though, NCIX have those crazy memory sales on almost all the time (they update the list about once a week). Newegg is not really any cheaper in Canada than NCIX, and they don't have crazy sales.

Ah I see. Shipping was not an issue for me because I happen to have a NCIX store near my house, so I always go there to pickup.

80 $ for the 4 GB kit after the mail-in-rebate. So it means 95 $ the kit.

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=28786&vpn=OCZ2RPR10664GK&manufacture=OCZ Technology

Actually, Newegg.ca is cheaper than NCIX for the HyperX ( Newegg is 90 $ cheaper ! ). And as of now, I've never seen NCIX cheaper than any other reseller out of Montreal.

I'm not in a hurry. I must first sell my Ballistix kit. I'll take a look at the Reaper though, but my choice as of now is the HyperX.

Back