• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which RAM - nForce2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

masitti

I am looking to get around a gig of memory for Xmas... I hear the nForce2 boards will do this dual channel thing. :D

Anyways, whats going to be the best 512 MB stick for around $200?

*edit*

Would this work?

CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 512MB 32MX8 PC-3500C2 With Heat Spreader
Specifications:
Speed 434MHz
Organization 64M x 64
CAS Latency 2-3-3-7-T1

Tipycol

You at least two sticks to use Dual DDR (I think some boards will work with three while others will only use Dual Channel with two sticks, and using three sticks will not get you triple channel DDR). So you should either get 2x256Mb stick or 2x512MB stick depending on how much ram you think you'd need. I'm not sure if the XMS 3500 would work. When they first came out, Corsair said they'd have problems running in pairs. The one you listed though is the second batch of XMS 3500, so I don't know if it'd still have the same problem.

OP
masitti

masitti

Thanks - yes, I am planning on buying 2 sticks of the XMS to run it dual, I was just wondering if that will work. :)

Tipycol

No it'll work at any speed (all the reviews done on Dual Channel were using the 333fsb 2700+ or 2800+ chips). You just need to have two sticks.

TheFrag

If you are gonan need new RAM fo rit, you might as well get 2 256mb instead of 1 512, that way you can use it, even if there isnt much of a performance gain

OP
masitti

masitti

TheFrag said:
If you are gonan need new RAM fo rit, you might as well get 2 256mb instead of 1 512, that way you can use it, even if there isnt much of a performance gain

Yes, that is what I am doing. :)

But, I am not using 2x 256 sticks. I am using 2x 512 sticks. :D

TheFrag

masitti said:

Yes, that is what I am doing. :)

But, I am not using 2x 256 sticks. I am using 2x 512 sticks. :D

I wish I could afford 2 512mb sticks :cry:

I am gonan go with some 2 256mb RAM for the 8RDA+. I am thinking of using some Corsair, but I might use some Mushkin or Twinmoss, if I can find it. Also, how does geil and OCZ RAM perform at above 200 fsb?

TheFrag

hmmmmmmmmmmm............ OCZ seems to be god AND cheap......... Anybody use this and know how good it will perform at high FSB's? I dont wanna spend a lot of cash on the Nforce2 and have RAM bottlenecking it.

OP
masitti

masitti

The only reason I can afford it is because I am getting 1 512 stick for Xmas, and I am buying the other. And I know that this is a needed boost. My 384 MB feels like 128 back in the day.

As for the brands, I have no clue. I hear the XMS series overclock real well, so I figure I'll have a pretty good guarentee going with the 3500 CL2.

Namagomi

Disabled
TheFrag said:
hmmmmmmmmmmm............ OCZ seems to be god(sic) AND cheap......... Anybody use this and know how good it will perform at high FSB's? I dont wanna spend a lot of cash on the Nforce2 and have RAM bottlenecking it.

eh, OCZ has had a bad rap for over exagerating RAM ratings. for instance, they made some "PC2700" chips a few months ago that were just o/ced PC2100 chips. I'd stcik with Corsair or Crucial if i were you.

Lumen

yah I too am getting some ram for the up and coming 8RDA+. The Corsair XMS 3500+ is a wee bit to expensive for me to buy 2 512mb sticks at once. I am going to buy one in order to have my system work, and when I get enough money gonna buy the other stick.:)

Tipycol

Yeah but the board should eliminate the bandwidth problem if the fsb can go higher than 200 with locked pci/agp buses.

OP
masitti

masitti

Warehouse said:
yah I too am getting some ram for the up and coming 8RDA+. The Corsair XMS 3500+ is a wee bit to expensive for me to buy 2 512mb sticks at once. I am going to buy one in order to have my system work, and when I get enough money gonna buy the other stick.:)

Yea, that's what I am doing! I have $200 in cash, and $200 for Xmas - so I plan on getting both sticks. I'll then sell my current ram (~$100) for the mobo.

One more question... would there be any difference if I got the 3200 or 3000 instead of the 3500?

Tipycol

Yeah I heard that someone was able to get XMS 3200 to DDR500 :)
Still, I'd take the 3200 instead of 3000 just because of the higher base fsb of 200. I wouldn't look into 3500 yet since no one can confirm with me that they work in pairs with no problems.