• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which RAM "upgrade" can I use for an old HP dv6000 series laptop with AMD mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dude9

Which RAM "upgrade" can I use for an old HP dv6000 series laptop with AMD mobo

I'm upgrading the memory in an old laptop for a friend but I won't have the laptop in my possession until after I have purchased the memory. It is a HP dv6646us and I believe it has a 1600 fsb if I am not mistaken and if that makes a difference. Per the HP web site the mobo is a "HP Pavilion DV6000 series AMD motherboard 449903-001". The stock/recommended memory is 200-Pin SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) at 1.8v with a timing of 5-5-5-15.

I'm pretty certain the bios can't be tweaked so I'm trying to get whatever the best performing memory is that the bios will recognize and that the system will actually utilize. The two possible "upgrades" I've found that I think might have a chance of working are ddr2 667 at 1.8v with 4-4-4-12 timing, or ddr2 800 at 1.8v and 5-5-5-15 timing, both reasonably priced and from quality manufacturers. I know both will work, I just need to know if they will work at their rated speeds/timing.

Can anyone that is familiar with that system/mobo/bios tell me for sure if one or both of these will work for sure in that particular laptop at their rated speed/timing? I've searched and searched and can't find a definite answer...

Which of the two RAM "upgrades" would give the best performance in that system assuming that they both could in fact run at their rated speed/timing, the 667 at 4-4-4-12, or the 800 at 5-5-5-15?

Grab the 5-5-5-15 so you don't have any headaches.

You won't notice the difference between those. But, make sure that they're SODIMM, not DIMM. SODIMMs are smaller than DIMMs.

Grab the 5-5-5-15 so you don't have any headaches.

Thanks for the reply. Which 5-5-5-15 were you referring to though, the stock 667 at 5-5-5-15, or the 800 at 5-5-5-15?

And could there really be any headaches anyway--like isn't the worst possible case scenario just that the mobo/bios would just force either of the "upgrades" (the 667 at 4-4-4-12 or the 800 at 5-5-5-15) to just run at the stock 667 and 5-5-5-15? Doesn't seem like there would be any draw back to going with one of the upgrades in the chance that it recognizes and uses it. The question is which one.

Still would also like to know which of these two memories gives the better performance, the 800 at 5-5-5-15, or the 667 at 4-4-4-12? I'm guessing the 800 but I'm still learning... And also still looking for anyone that knows for sure if this system is actually capable of running at 800 or at 4-4-4-12 so I don't have to guess on which one to get?

OK, just gave Google a little read.

It seems that your laptop only supports PC2-5300, DDR2 667, with a maximum of 2GB per module, so you should pick the DDR2 667 kit.

I'm not sure if the laptop BIOS will like or dislike different timings between modules, your best bet would be to buy a kit like this one. IMHO, there won't be a difference between CAS5 and CAS4. Anyway, the cheapest CAS4 is just five bucks more. Mushkin is a good brand, I wish we, Spaniards, had the chance to get them. Not a single store in Spain carries Mushkin.

Back