• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Runs Cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hamspiced

Amd Or Intel?

On average?

Ill be using the Lanparty board for whichever chip it turns out to be the coolest.

The rig im putting this into will have some sever cooling issues and in a confined space. I will not go to water cooling so im tryign to cut down on heat disapation as much as possible. I hear AMD's run much hotter then Intels. Im gonna shoot for something that runs about 2.4ghz

David

Forums Super Moderator
It all depends how well you cool your system. A good CPU cooler and good case airflow and any PC will be OK. AMDs did tend to run hotter than Intel CPUs, although I hear the Prescott can be a nightmare to cool.

I would suggest either a P4C or Athlon64. As to which runs cooler it does depend a lot on the cooling set up.

Captain Newbie

Senior Django-loving Member
David said:
It all depends how well you cool your system. A good CPU cooler and good case airflow and any PC will be OK. AMDs did tend to run hotter than Intel CPUs, although I hear the Prescott can be a nightmare to cool.

I would suggest either a P4C or Athlon64. As to which runs cooler it does depend a lot on the cooling set up.

:clap: Yes. Northwood-C and A64 are both good designs and can be made to run cool and quiet on air.

@md0Cer

Hamspiced said:
Amd Or Intel?

AMD XP 2100 Palomino (.18micron): 72 thermal watts
Intel P4 2.0GHz Willamette (.18): 100.5 thermal watts

AMD XP 2100 Thoroughbred (.13 micron): 62.08 thermal watts
Intel P4 2.0GHz Northwood (.13): 68.78 thermal watts

AMD XP 2500 Barton (.13 micron): 68.3 thermal watts
Intel P4 2.4GHz Northwood (.13): 77.32 thermal watts

AMD 64 3000 Newcastle (.13): 53-69 thermal watts
AMD XP 3000 Barton (.13 micron): 74.3 thermal watts
Intel P4 2.66GHz Northwood (.13): 82.2 thermal watts

Just for information on what runs cooler. ;) I might add that it really depends on your cooling solution alot more than the processor. Having good airflow+heatsink with a hot processor would probably yeild lower temperatures rather than a cooler processor with a crap 'sink and airflow.

-0cer
:cool:

Drec

the prescott is notorious for running hot...and the early athlons where too.

either way if your cooling is good it will not make a diffrence. if your price range is under $100 your probally going to haveta settle with an XP mobile.