• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED which sata ports?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I am about to shove this>>>>> http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A88X Extreme6+/ <<<<<< motherboard into a coolermaster HAF-X case.
but I can't seem to find out which sata ports are through the Bolton chip and which are asmedia or are any of the sata ports are handled by the asmedia.
are just the 2 rear I/O panel usb ports through the Bolton chip.
I thank you for any light you can shine on this.

Last edited:
thanks!!!!!
that shows all sata ports through Bolton and usb 3.0 through asmedia, the asrock manual is not so clear.

this is what is causing my confusion. this is for my ch5f-z board.

sata.PNG

I bet it's confusing.... it's not the same board as you mention in the OP.

Each board can handle things differently. ;)

It also says (what luta said already) in the manual. :)

as I said, my asrock paper manual is not totally clear on this.
my asus manuals are clear on this and that is what I am more used to.

It doesn't mention ASMedia because its all on the chipset in this case.

When in doubt, use the lowest number SATA ports as those are more than typically the 'native' or "bolton" connectors.

I use the #1 sata port for windows boot drive, #2 sata port for the Linux boot drive and the rest for storage drives.
the asmedia ports I use for optical drive and what ever might need a sata port on the case front panel.

even my asrock extreme 9 boards have 2 asmedia sata ports.
why would they have the asmedia sata ports if they already have ports through the chip set?
is there a performance hit to the chip set or something?

Last edited:
Because the chipset can only allocate so many sata ports. If a board has more than what the chipset can support, a different controller is required.

Back