• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Set of Headphones?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxxoverclocker

ive decided between these two sonys, MDR-XD400 , & MDR-V600 . I can't decide which set i like better, im slightly biased towards the 600's due to their design & snr, but the 400's have a larger driver. if anyone could offer some insight that'd b great. don't bother convincing me to get any other headphones unless they are a)sonys or b)you have run them over with a car 5x and they have not broken lmao, i have seen what has happend to all of my friends headphones with very little abuse and they just fall apart, right now i have had sony mdr-v300's for little over a year and a half and they have yet to fall apart (amazing since the abuse they take, ex. getting run over by chair wheels daily... stuff like that) thx for the help

edit: note that my friend's headphones have been anything from zalman 5.1's to 50 dollar radioshack phones to plantronics all the way to Sennheisers so i just don't want to deal with it lol

Randyman...

I have 2 pairs of Sony MDR-7506's that get abused often for Recording duties. They street for $99, and souund pretty darn good, if not a bit bright (great for tracking musicians ;) ). I also have a pair of MDR-V900's that are a tad dark, but nice for the Bass Player when recording (insane low-end), but run more like $179...

All I got.

:cool:

Emon

The V600s blow, the XD400s should be a decent choice. The MDR-V6 or MDR-7506 (same thing) are even better.

You're gonna have to get over your bias and realize that most low-end Sony is complete junk. It's not until you start paying hundreds that it gets good.

I guess your price range is about $100? If all you want them for is music, the Alessandro MS-1 (Music Series One) is about the best you can get, although many people find it to have comfort issues. The Sennheiser HD555 would be a good choice as well. Sennheiser HD485s as well. The Sennhesier HD280 is a great pair of closed, isolating studio cans. The V6/7506 can't really be beat for build quality, however.

Celeron_Phreak

I second that the V600s are nasty buggers.

I own the Sennheiser HD-280 Pros and I love 'em to bits, although they can be a bit to bright in a lot of applications, and a lot of users say that they clamp the head to tightly, but I believe that's why they sound so nice. The Sony V600s are nicer when it comes down to that, but they're lacking in strong accurate bass, they fall off the head easilly if you don't have a big head, and you can hear a lot of outside noise with them on.

OP
maxxoverclocker

maxxoverclocker

lol fine fine my bias ends, i looked at the sticky and im liking what im seeing sony mdr-xd400 & the sennheiser hd280pro look pretty nice. out of these what would you choose? feel free to add in others under 100 dollars but make sure they aren't gonna fall apart when i get them lol thx

Vipasnipa

Someone already mentioned the MS1, but I need to chip in for the obligiatory Grado plug. If $100 is your mark and you have decent source equipment, I'd suggest the Grado SR-80. It can be a little too bright for some people, but they're so damn detailed that anything else sounds muddy to me now.

Emon

Grado? Detailed? I think you're confusing bright with detailed. My SR-325s are by no means detailed. Still awesome, though. :)

OP
maxxoverclocker

maxxoverclocker

alright i went ahead and ordered the sony xd-400s after looking at reviews of all the headphones mentioned. i was going for the sennheisers but i found these ones for 40 bucks so i went ahead. @ first i was dissappointed because they don't have the same tone for the deep bass as my sony v300's (30 dollar headphones) but then i realised that these things sound like SPEAKERS i mean thats why i had always prefered my speaker setup over my headphones was because they always sounded open and not muddy. these headphones replicate my jbl n28's and 15" sub PERFECTLY, i have never heard a pair of headphones this cheap do that job before, well anyways thx for all your help on the decision!

poogl3

I was gonna throw my two cents in for the Senn HD-595's. Good luck with the xd-400's though. At the price, can't be beat.