• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which should I believe.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RagingGecko

Registered
I've got a Koolance H2O system, and I was wondering which temperature monitor I should believe, the one in the BIOS or the digital one on the case? The manual for the case says I shouldn't believe the BIOS, but I'm not so sure because of the huge difference. Case says 28-30 degrees C, but the BIOS says 50-53 degrees C! These are the processor temps btw. So, which is more trustworthy?

LocutusofBorg

Disabled
when your in the bios the cpu runs hottewr than in windows?
The os will enable a halt command when the proc is idle
but 50 -53 is hot
especially for H2O

OP
RagingGecko

RagingGecko

Registered
No, actually I don't have windows on my PC right now, the HDD is totally empty because I was having probs with it. I have a digital display on the top of the case that gives a temp readout. It gets the reading from a probe attached to the CPU water block.

WyrmMaster

I'm a little teapot Senior
What motherboard? Some boards read the internal diod (i assume you are running AMD) and that would give much higher temps than the sensor in the waterblock.

PhobMX

RagingGecko said:
No, actually I don't have windows on my PC right now, the HDD is totally empty because I was having probs with it. I have a digital display on the top of the case that gives a temp readout. It gets the reading from a probe attached to the CPU water block.

dude, this is a no brainer, peepz around asure that probes attached directly to the cpu read real temps, mobo temps in no way are real ever, some even read about 15º higher than the real temps!!! damn just look at your comp lol

markshelby

Registered
It Depends

Note that he didn't say it was attached to the cpu; the case thermister is actually on the *waterblock* (which of course is always cooler than the cpu).

Make sure the BIOS reading you're getting is for the cpu, that looks more like a "system" (i.e. northbridge) temperature to me. If it's really the cpu, make sure the cpu is making full contact with the waterblock (with very thin layer of thermal grease blah blah blah). If everything's in order and your system appears to be stable but the number stays at 50, then just assume it's wrong. :)

OP
RagingGecko

RagingGecko

Registered
Well everything seems to be stable. The mobo is a shuttle AK31 2.X . The Probe is attached into a slot in the side of the CPU block. Its a koolance block if anyone knows what I'm talkin about you know how it fits on there. No probs with it, just curious if it was gettin a little warm cause I don't think a WC system should get to 53 degrees C ever.