• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which temp to trust?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vrykyl

Tornado Guy
as you can see from my sig - im quoting my system temps as 29degs idle and 43degs max load, however thase temps are being taken from the bios, Asus probe utility that shipped with my mobo and mobo monitor (their temp readinfgs predictably match as they use the same probes). The TT Hardcano 11 that came with my XaserIII case reads consistently 6degs higher than my bios or programs...and it has its probe between the board and the cpu -
Which should I trust? Which is the most accurate?
Thanks
Vrykyl

n3xu5

i've never heard anything about asus hardware temp monitors being off by a whole lot, but dont get me wrong i havent gone and checked either cause i'm an abit guy. But if you dont have MBM5 you might want to get it, awsome little utility and it has a nice iface too.

I looked at your sig, your bios temps are very possible but you might wanna try MBM5 as it is pretty accurate give or take a few C in most cases.

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
I use the remote temp probe reading as a guage,its 4° C less than my bios reading.Its from my Thermaltake Hardcano 9 fan control/ temp monitor.I just add 4° C to its reading to get a estimate of my CPU temp.My probe is place on the side of the Intel IHS below the HS.Its attatched with thermal tape. THE FANMAN:cool:

Definetly try the MBM 5.My mobo is not on its list and would not give me proper readings.Your mobo should be in its list.:p

CrashOveride

If you put the probe right next to the core (I am guessing yes because otherwise I think it would be hard to get good temps:p) I would trust that before the probe.

OP
Vrykyl

Vrykyl

Tornado Guy
ok i installed the latest version of mbm, my mobo was listed and it gives the following temps when UNDER LOAD-
CPU socket - 34*
CPU diode - 35*
Case - 27*

are these trustable? at the same time my Hardcano 11 is saying my cpu temp is 39.2*

Hookj5

Vrykyl, Go into MDM5 settings, on the left click Tempratures, On top there are tow tabs, one for the reading name and under that for the reading source. I have mine set at .....Socket=Asus 1 Case=Asus2 Diode=W83L785TS-S. There are two W83l's, use the one with the -S NOT the -S Diode. The W83L785TS-S matches what reads in the BIOS on my system.

OP
Vrykyl

Vrykyl

Tornado Guy
did that and now my temps read
case - 28*
cpu diode 48*
cpu socket - 34*

where the hell is 48* coming from???

OP
Vrykyl

Vrykyl

Tornado Guy
ok, just restarted to check what it said in the bios. it said the mobo temp was 28* and the cpu temp was 42*, but my hardcano 11 says it was only 37.6*????
what are the sensors in mbm actually reading? is the case temp the actual temp of my case? and which of the 2 cpu sensor is the actual cpu temp? the diode or the socket reading? having changed the diode from default the temp on the diode meter went up hugely?

Hookj5

I think that socket is the sensor next to the socket, while the diode is the one inside the socket, under the cpu. In bios I think that equates to diode=cpu and socket=MoBo. I have no Idea where the case sensor is located or what temp it is acually reading.

OP
Vrykyl

Vrykyl

Tornado Guy
thanks, thats cleared things up a bit. Heres a little comparison of the Hardcano 11, Asus pobe utility temps and mbm5 temps -

Hardcano 11
CPU temp - 37.9*

Asus Probe-
CPU temp - 34*
mobo temp - 28*

MBM5 -
CPU diode - 48* (or with default diode - 37*)
CPU socket - 34*
case 28*

The confusion continues....

OP
Vrykyl

Vrykyl

Tornado Guy
ok, i also restarted during that last post (im using the net on my laptop for the purpose of these temp tests) and the bios cpu temp was actually 36*, i think 42 was a rogue reading.

Thus the bios, asus probe and MBM5 (default settings - with the cpu diode set to W83L785TS-S Diode, not the -S) all seem to match, whilst the hardcano11 is consistently now 3* higher in its readings

can i now trust them?

Vrykyl

mattmolson

i have to say trust nothing,depressing as it sounds.last night while at idle my temps were something like case 24,diode28,socket 33.i saw the case temp jump to 101 for a few seconds then back to 24.i have several programs to monitor temps and all do nutty things.i guess we just have to average it out and hope for the best

Yamiyanazz

Vrykyl said:
ok, i also restarted during that last post (im using the net on my laptop for the purpose of these temp tests) and the bios cpu temp was actually 36*, i think 42 was a rogue reading.

Thus the bios, asus probe and MBM5 (default settings - with the cpu diode set to W83L785TS-S Diode, not the -S) all seem to match, whilst the hardcano11 is consistently now 3* higher in its readings

can i now trust them?

Vrykyl

I feel ya there, bud...I changed the sensor and now my proc and it read -90C!!!(I wish!) Case is running 96 though...(my PC speaker alarm is sure annoying...