• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Ti4200 Card To Buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

patrck17

Registered
I am in the market for a new video card, and I have narrowed it down between two cards, the Asus V9280TD ($144) or the MSI G4Ti42000-VTD8X ($136). These two look very good to me but I am a novice, so any suggestions are welcome.

One question about this though, does the brand matter THAT much, I think I could get a Ti4200 card for like 20 dollars less if I go generic. But I am trying to do this right the first time. (i.e. I bought Housebrand 3200 ram and just turned around and replaced it with Corsair 3500 CMX).

Depending on what I hear from this forum I might be willing to splurge a little more cash for a better product, but if possible I would like to keep it around 150ish.

Thanks for any suggstions.

Patrick

james.miller

id choose the msi over the gainward. Gainward has had a lot of trouble with their gf4's reliablility, while ive heard very little about msi's going wrong.

Since you are open to other suggestions, i have to say radeon r9500pro. They are a heck of a lot better/faster ect. There's nothing a gf4 can do that an ATI r9500pro can't do better.

FrozenFears

I think Asus makes really good 4200s, I have an older model, the V8420 4xAGP ti-4200, and have it clocked stable at 327/640, and I have no problems in any games whatsoever, frame rates are high, and I feel like I got my moneys worth. Sure ATI makes the most "powerful" but also the most costly cards, I think the best value for you money would be a 4200.

I'm not sure why james.miller was talking about gainward, cause I thought it was an Asus vs MSI question? Does gainward modify Asus 4200s or something, I thought they were different companies? But hes right about gainward in that most people seem to complain rather then rave about those cards. Well Anyways back to your question... both are good cards, but I've seen higher Overclocks by Asus 4200s than MSI 4200s, but if you don't plan to OC at all, go for the MSI, stock performance would most likely be almost identical between the 2 and the MSI would save you 10 bucks.

james.miller

yeah sorry - brain fart lol

if he can find a 9500pro for <$160 then he should get it. currently they are about $170 at newegg, i believe.

still, for 50%+ performance over the ti4200, i believe the 9500pro's are worth it.

OP
P

patrck17

Registered
Thanks guys, I went with the MSI, it should be fine for now until I get a more serious cashflow.

This monday I expect my A7N8X-DLX
Tuesday my 350W power supply with 25A on the 12V
And Wednesday I should get the video card

Can't wait till its all set up, will beat the heck out of my old set up which was as follows:
gigabyte Ga-7VTXH
AMD Duron [email protected]
256 Generic 2100 RAM
16MB Creative TNT2