• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which to choose?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Haturee

I just upgraded my mobo from amd to Intel, I got the Asus maximus viii extreme, and Its tough to decide what processor to choose to go with it. Price isn't really an issue.

i7 6700k skylake and the i7 6800k broadwell have caught my attention, but I haven't had the opportunity to really look to much into either yet, I also heard a new cpu is being released towards the end of 2016, which is roughly when I get home anyways.

So should I buy one of the two stated or just wait for the next release?

wingman99

With the MAXIMUS VIII EXTREME you can't use the i76800k it takes the LGA2011-v3 socket. Go with the i7 6700k.

OP
Haturee

Haturee

That's something I should have noticed, I've clearly been out to long, thanks!

OP
Haturee

Haturee

My next question is would it be worth it to get a different board then to be able of running the newer stuff? Maybe an x99 board?

[email protected]

My next question is would it be worth it to get a different board then to be able of running the newer stuff? Maybe an x99 board?

X99 does not support Skylake-E. (And regular Skylake)
You can buy a X99 board but it will support Haswell CPUs (Which isnt really far from skylake in gaming).

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
Broadwell-E isn't really newer/better considering performance per core etc. It's different platform which supports more cores but it doesn't mean it's better for your needs. It's simply different and generally requires more expensive components what isn't always required if you "only" play games etc.