• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which to p4 Get ? 2.53b or 2.5/400fsb ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
kamilkluczewski

As for the 1.8A, well its a nice CPU, dont get me wrong, 1.8 @ 2.4 is a great overclock, but how long will it last, how many 1.8A's do you see in the SNDS?

I can attest that the 1.8a is just as reliable as any other chip out there. As long as you keep the voltage and temp in check you should be fine. I have had my 1.8 folding along non stop for the past 2 months. The most it will do is 150fsb, no matter what voltage I throw at it. I have even put it in my IT7 board and all she will do is 150fsb.

micamica1217,

I dont mean to argue but.....

the best chips to buy are the 1.8a, 2.26, and the 2.8......

the 1.8a can do up to 2.8-2.9ghz prime95 stable.
the 2.26 can do up to 2.9-3.0ghz prime95 stable.
the 2.8 can do up to 3.0-3.4ghz on air, prime95 stable.

I do aggree with you on the best chips to go with for OC'ing. The rule of thumb with PIV's is to pick the lowest multiplier. The biggest bang for you buck chip is the 1.8 hand down. With a multiplier of 18 and starting at a fsb of only 100 mhz you have alot of room to grow with that chip. With the 2.26 you may not end up with as high of an over all OC compared to stock, but you will more then likely end up with a higher fsb total. This will give you better performance with good memory. The one thing I woudl argue with you though is your "average" over clock speeds for the chips. I think those would be the case for the cherry chips and not the average. To get a better feel for what the average speed for each chip would be you need to check the CPU database. I would knock off about 100-200 MHz from your numbers with after market air cooling at resonable voltages.

i.t

The best advise I would give you is do not go with either chip. If you are willing to wait, I would hold off until you can find either the 2.26 or the 1.8a with the c1 stepping. The 1.8a c1 stepping should give almost identical OC results as the 2.4 c1 stepping for less money ( they will have the same end OC speed ). As markodude pointed out, the 2.26 will give you the lowest multiplier, 17. so you will more then likely end up with the highest FSB with this chip. As long as you are using quality memory you should be able to run the fsb up using the 3:4 memory ration and have the best memory bandwidth going with that option. Either way you go, Good luck with your OC.

Buzzdog

Buzzdog said:
kamilkluczewski

I can attest that the 1.8a is just as reliable as any other chip out there. As long as you keep the voltage and temp in check you should be fine. I have had my 1.8 folding along non stop for the past 2 months. The most it will do is 150fsb, no matter what voltage I throw at it. I have even put it in my IT7 board and all she will do is 150fsb.

micamica1217,

I do aggree with you on the best chips to go with for OC'ing. The rule of thumb with PIV's is to pick the lowest multiplier. The biggest bang for you buck chip is the 1.8 hand down. With a multiplier of 18 and starting at a fsb of only 100 mhz you have alot of room to grow with that chip. With the 2.26 you may not end up with as high of an over all OC compared to stock, but you will more then likely end up with a higher fsb total. This will give you better performance with good memory. The one thing I woudl argue with you though is your "average" over clock speeds for the chips. I think those would be the case for the cherry chips and not the average. To get a better feel for what the average speed for each chip would be you need to check the CPU database. I would knock off about 100-200 MHz from your numbers with after market air cooling at resonable voltages.

i.t

The best advise I would give you is do not go with either chip. If you are willing to wait, I would hold off until you can find either the 2.26 or the 1.8a with the c1 stepping. The 1.8a c1 stepping should give almost identical OC results as the 2.4 c1 stepping for less money ( they will have the same end OC speed ). As markodude pointed out, the 2.26 will give you the lowest multiplier, 17. so you will more then likely end up with the highest FSB with this chip. As long as you are using quality memory you should be able to run the fsb up using the 3:4 memory ration and have the best memory bandwidth going with that option. Either way you go, Good luck with your OC.

Buzzdog

sorry to say that, no, the numbers I gave for the three cpu's are not cherry picked chips, but the result I find from peeps like you and me.
the cpu data base is a great guide but it is full of falts.....
first, not all peeps log in what the max OC is for the chip they have.
two, some flat out lie as to the stability of the OC.
three, most cpu's get better with time....so the first chips might do well, yet after a few months the same chips do great.

five months ago I would not get a 1.8a.....yet today....

4 out of 5 peeps who log on to the forum with a bo stepping 1.8a can hit 2.8-2.9ghz max.....most hit 3.0ghz with high vcore.
there stablity is not questioned, since they have shone them selfs trust worthy.

the same is true for the 2.26....4 out of 5 peeps tryed the 2.26 (before the bo stepping) hit 3.0ghz
one person tryed 5 times with the 2.26 to hit 3.0.....and only got 2.9ghz max with all chips.

so on and so on.......

as for the 2.4b C1.....

there is already one person on this forum that is having truble getting over 2.7ghz.
no better then the 1.8a, if you ask me.

I do agree that low multiplyer and fast FSB is best, normaly.
but with intel nothies, it seems that some cpus do better then others...maybe this will be true for C1 as well.

mica

On the bang-for-buck scale the advice to buy a 1.8A or a 2.26 is sound. Yet, I'd like to add that for a more modest overclock I can't help but eye the 2.66 C1 chips at the moment or very soon. In a few weeks, the 3.06 will make this chip more affordable and I think it has a good chance of hitting a clean 3Ghz at a sweet 150Mhz FSB. On a fully blazing 4x turbo rambus system this should shine.

I realize it would 'only' be 333Mhz extra, but the gains are maximized with high cpu Mhz, high FSB and a solid chance of getting there with the most powerful choice today: rambus. :>

FIZZ3 said:
On the bang-for-buck scale the advice to buy a 1.8A or a 2.26 is sound. Yet, I'd like to add that for a more modest overclock I can't help but eye the 2.66 C1 chips at the moment or very soon. In a few weeks, the 3.06 will make this chip more affordable and I think it has a good chance of hitting a clean 3Ghz at a sweet 150Mhz FSB. On a fully blazing 4x turbo rambus system this should shine.

I realize it would 'only' be 333Mhz extra, but the gains are maximized with high cpu Mhz, high FSB and a solid chance of getting there with the most powerful choice today: rambus. :>

you said it....

too bad most of the peeps above are all talking about DDR.

they have no idea how there are just so many more choices in cpus for rambus.
with rdram, you always have good if not great bandwith....no matter what cpu or OC you get.

mica

micamica1217 said:

you said it....

too bad most of the peeps above are all talking about DDR.

they have no idea how there are just so many more choices in cpus for rambus.
with rdram, you always have good if not great bandwith....no matter what cpu or OC you get.

mica

Yeah I'm a happy rambus user myself, hence the bias I guess. I don't approve of their previous legal dealings, but the technology is sound and it pays off quite nicely. =)

Still tho, DDR is still generally cheaper and has a more secure future, with GB you are generally beating rambus at DCDDR333+ speeds as far as I know. Chuck in a good processor and run the 3:4 mem divider with a 170FSB to give DCDDR450 it will surely be well fast...
I think that 200FSb is realistic on a C1 2.26B with major cooling, its only 3.4ghz....:D

micamica1217,

You have a good point about the Rambus users, I did not take that in to account. All things being equal, going with the DDR option you need the higher fsb. So with a rambus board, you can get away with a higher multiplier. If you look at my signature you will see that I have the best of both worlds, I have a DDR and a rambus system. If price becomes a concern then DDR becomes the most viable choice.

markodude

Still tho, DDR is still generally cheaper and has a more secure future, with GB you are generally beating rambus at DCDDR333+ speeds as far as I know. Chuck in a good processor and run the 3:4 mem divider with a 170FSB to give DCDDR450 it will surely be well fast...

From what I have read, DCDDR will not work well with 3:4 ratio. With Duel Channel you are filling up the quad bus on the PIV's. If you try to go any higher then 1:1 then you are going to end up with a bottleneck at the memory bus. But this is not a bad thing. It means that we can go with cheaper PC2700 memory with GB systems intead of PC3200 and PC3500 sticks. We should also be able to get more aggressive memory settings if we do spend the extra cash on the faster sticks. The best analogy I would give DCDDR would be the poor mans rambus. It will give us rambus performance for alot less expense. I would aggree with you that DDR has the more secure future atm, but as we all know in this game, alot can change in 6 months to a year.

Overall with my little experience with both types of systems, rambus and DDR. I would say that DDR is the easier option to OC. Of course it all depends on what type of OC you are going for. With my rambus system I get really nice memory scores. It scores higher 3d mark scores. Heck it even folds faster. But I still use my DDR as my primary system. I am not sure why. Maybe it is what drives us all, I want to try to push a little farther. My one regret since getting involved into the OC game. I made my original purchase decision with my Gigabyte board before I came to these forums. I chose that board based off of a review from that one sight that is infamous for plugging Gigabyte and having reviews with questionable pictures of CPU's...............

Buzzdog

P.S. My Gigabyte board is rock stable, that is no knock on the board. It is just not the best choice for a low multiplier CPU OC.

markodude said:
I think that 200FSb is realistic on a C1 2.26B with major cooling, its only 3.4ghz....:D

well all I know is one person is having a hard time with his last two C1 2.4b cpus....2.7ghz max OC.
no better then the bo steping......also about 2.7ghz

it might not be C1, but what cpu you try to OC with.
hopefuly the 2.26 C1 will be a better OC then the bo....we wont know untill it hits us. but 3.4ghz???? realy???

mica

so guys you decide

I have IT7 board and tommorow, (Thursday, October 30, 2002) I'm going shopping for a new CPU. What is the most optimal CPU to buy with a 533FSB. I mean, Plant, Stepping, Boxing Date etc. I cant really trust the CPU oVerclock data base, you never know about its results.

Ok, guys help me out, Id love to hear some input prior to spending 300 bux.

I have Corsair 3200 Cas 2, and innovatek kit on the way.

Thanks

Kam:cool:

markodude said:

The future of DDR1 is limited as best as well... and DDR33+ speeds are overclocked speeds, which can be matched by PC1066+, which has the superior memory controller and thus the slight advantage from the start. DC DRR 450 is but a dream by the way... there is no indication that those speeds can in fact be reached; it's not a single channel world anymore.

jarett,

In theory yes, you will have more likely be able to run at a higher fsb with a lower multiplier chip. A higher fsb means higher memory bandwidth. Make sure you get a motherboard that allows you to lock your PCI/AGP bus and run it as high as she will go. You can safely go up to around 1.7-1.75 actual voltage on the vcore to get a little more out of the CPU and keep it stable. You should also make sure that you keep your temeperatures in check. The two biggest killers of Northwoods from what I have seen has been #1 Too much voltage #2 Temperatures out of spec.

When trying to build an OC system the #1 thing to increase your chance fo getting a good one is doing your home work. Read these forums and ask questions. Educate yourself on what has been sucessful for others. Buy good equipment to get the job done. Also dont be disapointed if you build a system identical to someone else on the forums and you do not end up with the same results. This is the factor that no money can buy, and that is LUCK. That is the unknown element when playing this game, LUCK.

Good luck with your OC

Buzzdog

Had a 1.8a at 2.48 stable but not any more

I had a 1.8a at 2484 using 1.55 BIOS vcore, 1.62 actual. It was new retail and had a pack date of September, 2002.

It was solid and stable for three weeks on a beefed-up case cooling but regular retail CPU cooling. I then started getting blue-screens on windows boot-up.

I then dropped it down to 2.22mhz (123 fsb) at default 1.5 vcore and the blue-screens stopped (couldn't even go to 125 fsb any more).

I don't want to try the vcore any higher and after what I just experienced I am going to leave it at 2.22.

This sucks! :mad:

Back