• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which upgrade path to choose?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
I'm wondering if it's worth watercooling my GTX 780... Or if I'm better off buying into Pascal.

Obviously the waterblock is the cheaper route and I feel the GTX 780 still has much to offer in terms of preformance with Skyn3t's v4 BIOS.
At the same time I do notice FPS drops when Nvidia Physx is turned up in games and I get the odd drop here and there so I don't really know how much power I'm actually leaving on the table without watercooling and BIOS mods.

Then there's Pascal. Which would be overkill for me right now BUT that basically covers me for many years to come, plus it's a huge boost to my [email protected] points....
A Pascal card would most certainly handle anything I throw at it with ease, but they are costly....

So Should I bother watercooling, or should I look into a 1070 or 1080?
Is there really a huge preformance boost vs Kelper?

wingman99

It really depends how good your chip is for GPU overclocking not the cooling since GPU voltage is limited. If you don't like the fan noise water cooling is better.

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Water cooling isn't going to change it much more than air, really.. another couple percent performamce increase. Whereas with a new card.....

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
there really is quite a boost going from Kepler to pascal, don't bother watercooling the card, replace it.

OP
Silver_Pharaoh

Silver_Pharaoh

So save the $100 or so and put it towards...?
1070? is that equal or slightly better than a 780? or a get a 1080 being the 780's "80" brother like the 680 is it's little brother.

1080 much more powerful than the 1070 as well?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
That's what we alluded to, yes... save your money for pascal. A 1070.

As far as performance, check out some reviews, but yes there is a significant difference between 780 and 1070 as well as 1070 to 1080. I wouldn't get a 1080 for 1080p gaming.

stereo555

Overclocking is music to my soul
Coming from a 780 myself to a recent 1080 ....save your money for the upgrade vs spending any to add water .

OP
Silver_Pharaoh

Silver_Pharaoh

Ooooh something I just thought of.

How bad will my 1090t bottleneck a 1070?
I can run 3Ghz NB so that will help reduce said bottleneck but still...

Tech Tweaker

I'm in a similar predicament myself.

I have a GTX 780, and one of those AIO/CLC cooling brackets and an AIO cooler to go with it. But my issue is that the bracket doesn't fit my card (non-reference PCB), so I'm planning to sell my 780 for a reference one or step up to a 780 Ti (which would outperform a 970 and get close to the performance of a 980 in several titles based on reviews I've looked at). A 780 Ti here in the states is $100 less (or better) (the last time I checked a few weeks back) than a GTX 980 and the 970's are typically selling for prices similar to 780 Ti's on the used market, so it doesn't make much sense to spend the extra on a 980 for the somewhat minimal performance gain (from my perspective based upon product reviews I've read), or buy a 970 for the same price to get less performance (but a newer architecture).

Thinking I might upgrade to the 780 Ti (since I already have the hardware needed to liquid cool it, and it performs better than a 970 in most titles), as in the recent Battlefield 1 Open Beta my GPU was giving me 30-50 less FPS than it does in BF4 (though BF4 is three years old at this point) and showing its age a bit.

In my case though I know a 1070 or 1080 isn't a reasonable expectation for me, as it's outside of my budget and probably will be for some time. A 780, 780 Ti, or 970 would suit my needs since I'm only gaming on a single 1080p panel.

I may be a bit different though, as I tend to almost always buy used/pre-owned when it comes to the GPU, just because I can't afford the latest-gen hardware at the performance level I want/need, so I buy stuff from a generation or two back.

It goes something like this I think: 780<970<780 Ti<980<1060<980 Ti<1070. Though the 1060 and 980 Ti are close in performance, and they go back and forth between different games or benchmarks.

Seems to be a pretty large margin between a 980 and a 1070, in some games/benchmarks up to and around 1/3rd more performance with the 1070.

Last edited:
OP
Silver_Pharaoh

Silver_Pharaoh

I was thinking a 980 or 970 but i think pascal would future proof me for years.

970 can be had for $300 CAD on ebay last time i checked. I wonder if i should grab a 970?
But you are saying the 1070 is 1/3rd better in some cases than a 980 so it might be worth the extra $$ for a 1070...

TheCheat

I was thinking a 980 or 970 but i think pascal would future proof me for years.

970 can be had for $300 CAD on ebay last time i checked. I wonder if i should grab a 970?
But you are saying the 1070 is 1/3rd better in some cases than a 980 so it might be worth the extra $$ for a 1070...

780 v 1070

OP
Silver_Pharaoh

Silver_Pharaoh

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_1060_STRIX_OC/26.html

Its a 1060 review, yes...its the latest from that site (updated benchmarks/drivers etc). Look at the results around it with the cards in question.

Holy cow what a powerhouse!
So I'm definatly saving for a 1070 then. It just makes sense at the end of the day.

Now my other question still remains - how bad will my PhenomII 1090t bottleneck a 1070? That might be hard to answer given how new Pascal is so is there data on how much a 1090t bottlenecks a 980 or 970?
EDIT: Answer? Yeah, the 1090 is a bottleneck by a fair amount too. It would still be a solid upgrade for me but the 1090t isn't going to help. Now I'm wondering if I should look to an FX 8300 or an 4th gen Intel rig as well hmmm...

Last edited:
OP
Silver_Pharaoh

Silver_Pharaoh

There's always https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Skylak...=UTF8&qid=1473663329&sr=1-1&keywords=i5+6600k If budget demands an FX, I would try to hold out until Zen is released. Bulldozer prices should plummet. 5820k is still almost $400 most places.
It's not really budget, it's more like hey I spent $600+ on watercooling and that sabertooth motherboard.

Now this is all to get the most out of that 1070. Honestly, I'm not sure I need to do that right now. Just swapping out the 780 for a 1070 will provide a nice boost in preformance it seems,

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Holy cow what a powerhouse!
So I'm definatly saving for a 1070 then. It just makes sense at the end of the day.

Now my other question still remains - how bad will my PhenomII 1090t bottleneck a 1070? That might be hard to answer given how new Pascal is so is there data on how much a 1090t bottlenecks a 980 or 970?
EDIT: Answer? Yeah, the 1090 is a bottleneck by a fair amount too. It would still be a solid upgrade for me but the 1090t isn't going to help. Now I'm wondering if I should look to an FX 8300 or an 4th gen Intel rig as well hmmm...
my suggestion there is to look at the latest game reviews from techspot. For example: http://www.techspot.com/review/1148-tom-clancys-the-division-benchmarks/page5.html

TheCheat

It's not really budget, it's more like hey I spent $600+ on watercooling and that sabertooth motherboard.

Now this is all to get the most out of that 1070. Honestly, I'm not sure I need to do that right now. Just swapping out the 780 for a 1070 will provide a nice boost in preformance it seems,

1090t stock vs FX 8370 stock

I think just upgrading the gpu at this time is a good move. The FX chip upgrade seems only worth it if you get an excellent deal on a 8350/8370. Intel is an option... but your 1090 is chugging along at 4.0ghz-- why not wait and see what Zen brings to the table?

-TC

OP
Silver_Pharaoh

Silver_Pharaoh

1090t stock vs FX 8370 stock

I think just upgrading the gpu at this time is a good move. The FX chip upgrade seems only worth it if you get an excellent deal on a 8350/8370. Intel is an option... but your 1090 is chugging along at 4.0ghz-- why not wait and see what Zen brings to the table?

-TC
Because If what I read is true, then I will need Windows 10 to use Zen and still get updates from MS.

Using Win10 is not something I'm remotly interested in.

Alaric

There is some debate as to just how much W7/W8 would actually be hobbled by the new chips. Until that information is field tested, that's probably a wise move. As soon as I can make sense of the directions for slipstreaming "SP2" in to a W7 .iso I'm going back to W7. I may be stuck with Skylake for life. LOL. Fortunately(?) with my health issues that may not be long enough to be a problem. :)