• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which vid card to upgrade to?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OP
T

TechJunky

I think its only a 300w supply. I am not 100% positive, but pretty sure.

I am selling an old ibook i have on craigslist for $150 and have 10 160GB drives I am trying to sell on craigslist. Hoping I can find a cheap 500w power supply on craigslist for around 40 and then have enough $$ left over for a card.

Douken

Some words of wisdom, the power supply is the most important component in a PC, don't just buy random.

OP
T

TechJunky

Thanks.

There is this on the craigslist..

Decent?

New in box Coolmax 500 Watt ATX power supply. $45

I just sold my laptop, so I am over half way there already!

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Coolmax is a POS in most cases. Killem linked you the guide we have here.

5770 is a solid choice as well if you plan on keeping the card for a while and playing DX11 games. If you dont care or will upgrade again in another year or two when there are actually a lot of DX11 games, you can go HD4890.

OP
T

TechJunky

Thanks for the calculator and the link. From the looks of it I only would need 349watts minimum using that calculator. So a 500w should be plenty I would assume. Ordering PSU's online sucks the cash out of me due to shipping because im in Alaska. So I either pay another $40 for shipping or just get a PSU local. I checked the brands and bestbuy does carry the crucial brand ones so maybe I could go with one of those.

ATI cards are ahead of Nvidia? Sorry I have been out of the game a long time on hardware... I am a software junky and my 9600GT has been fine for me for years.

What is weird is that they are saying with my 9600GT im at 309w, and with the 260 oc'd card I would only need 349w. That seems like it really doesnt pull that much more than my current card. Crazy.

OP
T

TechJunky

Also, when I did the tape mod to my cpu at 100% load it would crash my box. I am assuming its because my current psu is a 300w one, its from dell so its not the best and prolly couldn't hold the voltages and crashed. What do you think?

I am all about purchasing a decent psu as long as I dont have to spend another $100 on one. I dont plan on OC'ing anytime soon etc as I plan to get an i7 in about 6 months.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Also, when I did the tape mod to my cpu at 100% load it would crash my box. I am assuming its because my current psu is a 300w one, its from dell so its not the best and prolly couldn't hold the voltages and crashed. What do you think?

I am all about purchasing a decent psu as long as I dont have to spend another $100 on one. I dont plan on OC'ing anytime soon etc as I plan to get an i7 in about 6 months.
That could have been it... it could have been a faulty pad mod. I guess you will find out soon enough...:cool:

OP
T

TechJunky

Ok, so I am planning on selling my 9600GT as well, my hard disks and already sold my laptop..

So hoping for around $300 budget for a vid card and PSU.

Let me know what you think. Newegg and tigerdirect are pretty good for shipping to AK.

Thanks again guys!

OP
T

TechJunky

Is the HD4890 better than the GTX260? I noticed in your signature that you have a GTX260. Any reason why I should go with the HD4890 over the GTX260? From what I have heard the HD4890's are better card for card, but then I have heard that having a Crossfire/SLI card as a single card you lose performance... Is this really true?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is going to be my backup rig and I want to make sure I didn't toss my money away on the card because I will more than likely put this card in my new i7 and put my old 8800GT back in this box.

Thanks!

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
THe HD4890 is better than the GTX260, yes. I would go with it b/c it is faster card within your budget, plain and simple.

There isnt a specific Crossfire/SLI card as all can be crossfired/SLI'd together really, so that cant be true. one card = 100% of its potential all the time, SLI/Crossfire = 0-80% scaling over one card. Depends on teh game and resolution.

OP
T

TechJunky

Thanks for the explanation. I really appreciate all your help! I am more than likely going to just purchase the parts from bestbuy because with shipping to AK it is going to cost me more either way. I tried the non Oc'd on newegg, with a 500-600w PSU even using the combo deals and its still over 300 without shipping.

So I am more than likely going to go with this config.

XFX ATI 4890 Vid Card
Corsair TX650W powersupply For a grand total of $294.95 and I can pick it up today if I wanted. =)

Thanks again for all your help!

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Most BFG's are OK. I know their kW model is great, but not sure who makes these. I know according to the PSU page in my sig, one BFG model didnt fair so well... I hope that one isnt made by the same OEM...

No other Corsairs available there?

OP
T

TechJunky

They have the 800w available, but they want a pretty penny.

the 650w didn't fair well, and the model is the same on the 550w. So I guess that leaves that out.

I think I finally finalized on it though. I am gonna use amazon... Free shipping. May take a little longer, but atleast I will get quality products.

OCZ 700w PSU StealthXStream - out of stock have to wait...
OR
Corsair TX650 Watt PSU.

XFX 4890 ATI Video Card

The total is cheaper too at only 269.98 if I went with the OCZ and 280.97 if I go with the Corsair.

Gotta love free shipping.

Last edited: