• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which video card for graphic design?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

autoMATTic

I'm building a computer for my sister thats she will be using for games and graphic design. I needed a reasonably priced card so a 9800xt or a 5950 Ultra is probably out of the question. I needed something for like 200 bucks maybe can spend more. As for CPU I think I may go AMD Barton for most bang for buck.

From my own experience I would say go for a Nvidia card with 3D design applications. And with your price range you can get a 5900nu FX card. But if you say design as in photoshop then I would go for an ATI card.

If you mean 3D modeling type stuff, then go with nVidia

If you mean more like things with just pictures (IE: Photoshop, etc), then got with ATi or Matrox, as the added image quality is a big plus with that.

Perfect for games and graphic design: XFX Geforce FX 5900 128MB DDR AGP with TV-out & DVI - $194 @ gameve.com.

Evnas said:
If you mean 3D modeling type stuff, then go with nVidia

If you mean more like things with just pictures (IE: Photoshop, etc), then got with ATi or Matrox, as the added image quality is a big plus with that.
5900s have no shortcoming in terms of 2D visual quality, in fact quite the opposite. The best 2D quality I have seen in 12 years in the business was from a PNY 5900nu, which was actually an Asus V9950 relabled. The 2D was breathtaking and clearly superior to every card I have ever set eyes on, Matrox and ATI included. GF3's had only middling 2D image quality, GF4Ti's are good, and 5900s are great. If DX9 pixel shader operations are not your driving priority the refinement and compatibility offered by the Nvidia drivers as well as the 2D image quality makes a 5900 the smart choice.

I use a dual head / dual monitor Matrox Parhelia PH-A128B

For .Net, Photoshop, etc.. general web and development along with graphics for product lines, etc...

Back