• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which vista should I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Th3 F4ll3n P1mp

Disabled
I plan to dual boot it with a linux OS (most likely gentoo). It has to be 64 bit, and work with dx10 etc etc. Specs are in sig. Which is best? Im thinking ultimate, but its a bit expensive, and what other features does it have compared to the other vistas?

gangaskan

get ultimate if you want dream scene, but in most cases home premium is what alot of people will end up with it has media center features and the likes.

business does have terminal services and ultimate has all that + dream scene, media center, and bitlocker (does that come with B?)

OP
Th3 F4ll3n P1mp

Th3 F4ll3n P1mp

Disabled
Whats deam scene exactly? I think ill go for home premium then. Btw, is there a way to get an OS that came with a pc on a hard drive and get it onto another hard drive? I already have home premium, and maybe I can get it onto my new rig.

gangaskan

aka it plays video in the background as your wallpaper

i think you can transfer the liscence to another board, you may want to look around i know there is a discussion on this somewhere here.

ou_phidelt

If it is OEM then it is not supposed to be transfered to another board. Essentially it is tied to the motherboard that it is installed onto. If you upgrade to another motherboard you need a new license, at least according to the EULA. Can you call them and get them to activate on a new board, probably but that is up to you and your morals. I went ahead and got a retail version knowing I would be changing out my motherboard several times in the time until Vista's replacement comes out, heck I already have once.