• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which would you pick

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Digital Pimp

a freind is looking for a video editing rig, and i basically gave them 2 choices

(they origionally asked for a 3ghz proc and 512 of DDR)

1. Intel 2.8b +512 pc3200
2. AMD dual 2000+ 512 pc3200

which would be a better starting point for a video editing setup.

Thanks, Digital

Disputant

First off I am both an AMD and Intel lover, but if I had to pick between those two pcs.. I would take the intel and it would be running at 3.2 to 3.5 in no time. Just could I get Corsair xps ram with my order please?

Seriously though, I don't do to much video editing, so take everyone elses word over mine.

Maxvla

i saw a video editing test between a dual xp/single p4/dual g4 setup somewhere...

the single p4 won in just about every area. also if you are going full speed... the p4 would be better with rdram. not ddr.

OP
Digital Pimp

Digital Pimp

yeah i realize rdram would be better, the guy just contacted me about building a computer, i still need to work out the details, just wondering where would be the better starting point.

i'm thinking the 3.06ghz P4 will be out soon enuff so i'll throw that one in, i offered overclocking as an option but i still havent heard back about any of it yet.

can u guys think of any other stuff to put in a video editing machine as i know amost nothing about it.

i was thinking a raid setup or maybe one 120gig WD 8mb drives...?

Digital

Ebola

Senior Toilet Scrubber
well if you are video editing then your probably multitasking too. My pick goes to the dually.

Bull

I would pick the AMD dually like Ebola. For multitasking you can't beat it.

Maxvla

would scsi be of help in a video editing machine?

i really don't know enough about it.

Sonny

Senior TIFOSI
2 X Seagate 'cuda V 160G 8MB Cache True SATA
High Point 1520 SATA RAID Controller Card
His choice of HAUPPAUGE products
500W PSU min(Enermax, Vantec, Antec, PCP&C)

Rav

For heavy disk access SCSI might be a good idea, and RAID if budget allows. Raw uncompressed video has a very high bitrate and make very large files, so don't skimp on this. For encoding, memory bandwidth is a huge part of it. Even with KT400 the AMD is limited to its 266 host bus bandwidth where the P4 has 533. RDRAM 1066 would be nice again in budget. For CPU power, the AMD's would probably have more combined power, but the P4 has the SSE2 advantage if the software supports it. If you get an AMD server board, make sure it can support enough "normal" PCI cards, since a lot of them have PCI 66 or PCI 100mhz slots.

Hope thats useful information.

-Rav

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
AMD dual 2000+ 512 pc3200 with win xp and a multi thread video program also raid 0 over scsi if you are ripping analog video (tv / vcr ect.) get fast and big on the drives to, uncompressed avi can take over 15gigs+ for 30min of hi-res full screen ripping it hurts look at www.vcdhelp.com for a lot of good info on this stuff and a lot of free ware and tools too

Penguin4x4

Are you my Daddy?
If this is going to be his main rig, without question the dually. If it is going to be a stand alone encoding rig, the Intel most definetly. You may also want to get him and MPEG Encoding Card, such as those from RCC. :)

The Revelation

Registered
If time isn't a serious constraint.. wait for the new Intel chips with HT.

I'm running a relatively "old" P4 1.8A, doing 2D graphic design. It completely decimates my old dual 1ghz T-bird rig.

Do some searches for DV enthusiast sites online, I'm sure they will have hardware reviews/recommendations.

OP
Digital Pimp

Digital Pimp

thanks for all the great info. this system is still in the very earley stages of planning, i'll post back when i hear more about what they want and more importnatly how deep their pockets are :D

Digital

filip04

as a amd lover myself, i would have to vote for the dully.... video editing requries a lot of processor power... and a dully will do good