• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

White thermal silicone paste can be used as dielettric grease?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrazyDr

Registered
I am having problems finding the dielettric grease needed for filling up the holes of the CPU on the socket. I stay ad Rome, Italy, and noone knows what it is..

Maybe it has a different name..?

Is it possible to use instead that white silicon thermal grease?? The one used for filling the gap between the heatsink and the CPU..

What do u think???

Thanks in advance!!!

Turando

eeerm thermal paste is like 99% silver in most cases, and i might be wrong here but i think silver is conductive;):):):):)

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
Turando said:
eeerm thermal paste is like 99% silver in most cases, and i might be wrong here but i think silver is conductive;):):):):)

thats artic silver that is, theres many kinds of thermal paste,

i dunno if itll work, go to an auto store like phiber said

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
vasaline works aswell its ok to use it does contain a small amount of watter though but it is an acceptable means of filling the holes.

OP
C

CrazyDr

Registered
..and if i don't use it at all...?

..and what happens if i don't use it all..?
Some friends of mine that use peltiers have said me that IF i seal the entire block "socket + CPU" using silicone e neoprene, plus using the silicone neoprene patch inside and on the back of the socket, it aint needed that grease..

I did so but the results are "strange", i started a new thread for getting some help..

But, the question is, should i use that grease..? Someone told me that maybe is silicone grease and that isnt too hard to find.. i mean when i asked for it they knew what i was talking about..!

The vaselline grease i found it in a autoparts store.. if it does the work i'll take that one.. ideas..?

Thanks!!

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Dude...you need dielectic grease in the zif sockett holes!! Don't let anyone ever tell you that you don't!!

I own a Vapochill and know. Even if you could make a air tight seal on the sockett (really doubt it though) the air that is trapped inside still contains water vapor, which would freeze into crystals when yuo turn on the pelt and then melt into tiny droplets when you turn it off. This process will continue to cycle back and forth until you have yourself a dead cpu/mobo. Even with my Vapo factory approved anti-condensation system I have still had some condensation issues.

My advice to you: PACK THAT SOCKETT FULL OF GREASE!! THE PIN HOLES & INNER SLUG HOLE!!

NeoGeo

Luberex makes a good dielectric grease, swiftech sells it here

Or do a search on luberex, for other resellers.