• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who has a Voodoo 5 6000?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
CrystalMethod said:

Nvidia didn't get everything. 3DFX was sold off to 3 different companies. Nvidia being the largest of them.

Exactly right, If your looking for anyone to make any kind of "voodoo" with the VSA100 chips on them...look at "Quantum 3D"..they are the ones who bought out the stockpile of the chips and the rights to them...Nvidia did get a big chunk, but nothing worth anything to them in the present time and technology. There is one bit of technology that 3DFx had that there was no mention of who got it when they sold out....this was a project know as "mosaic"...or..3DFx's tile based rendering technology, If that had hit the shelves on a production board, along with their unmatched anti-aliasing...I think Nvidia would have been the one to have gone under...heh heh...but..this 3dfx fan could wish can't he?...LOL

PS. the way I see it...Nvidia purchased alot of technology from 3DFx...but, it was the same stuff they were getting sued for by 3dfx for stealing it....To bad the lawsuit never made it to judgment....3Dfx might still be here.

Do a search, one guy emailed Quantum3d whop has the rights to the vsa chips, and said that they said he could buy one for 15grand.

moorcito said:

The only way a geforce2 mx would own the voodoo 5 6000, would be to buy $1000 worth of them, and rig it all up into one massive video card.

It's $1,000 because it is a collectors item. Who wouldn't want to own a video card with 4 processors and 128mb vram?

Keep in mind, that all this come from a 3dfx fanboy :D

There were only 100 of the cards made, and less than half of them were functional. Which makes the card even more valuble as a collectors item.

I couldn't believe that a company who practically brought 3D to the desktop eventually dit the dust. I still love the company for some reason like some of you do. Hopefully their technology will surface somewhere. I heard that some of the ex-employees are planning on resurrecting the company somehow.

I too am a big 3DFX fan. They made the first true 3D card I ever bought. The jump from the S3 Virge to the VooDoo 1 was huge. Probably the biggest improvement in graphics quality ever and I just went from a GF2 MX to a 9700 pro. That was a big jump, but nothing like the voodoo.

I still remeber how fantastic the 3D effects were in...Quake I think it was.

If someone icked up the 3DFX name and made a decent card I'd buy it in a flash.

Hey guys i seen an arcade game in the breezeway of my local wal-mart with this game called....eh heck i don't member...some boat racin game. But the cool part was it showed the good old 3DFX logo during the intro looping stuff! Now how is this possible if 3DFX is no more....?

skid said:
Hey guys i seen an arcade game in the breezeway of my local wal-mart with this game called....eh heck i don't member...some boat racin game. But the cool part was it showed the good old 3DFX logo during the intro looping stuff! Now how is this possible if 3DFX is no more....?

3dfx tried to venture into the arcade market before they died....and if you were impressed by the graphics even though they were that old.....thats what was so great about 3dfx...they were the innovators....Ati and Nvidia were just left following when it came to IQ in games....

CraxySerge: I sure hope that what you say is true. I would buy a 3dfx card again in a heartbeat.

That boat racing game is a great game too. How is it that even after 2 years of the company being gone, we still know nothing of their ongoing projects such as rampage and mosaic, and very little about the 6000. Just seems odd that no one knows anything about these things despite the company being bought in 2000.

heh...

My very first 3d card was the Voodoo3 2000 PCI when it first came out...
Used it in a Cyrix 266mhz with 32meg of ram system...It had built in 2d video so I couldnt run any games before that...
I mowed yards all that summer just so I could go buy the thing...

That oen died on me from old age I think since it was one of thier first ones...
Now I have one of the newer V3 3000 pcis in a Server in my closet...been running for the past 3mo...

Back