• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who uses filters?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
nope, no filters. Tried some of the old ladies nylons over the intakes (don't do it, guys. bad idea) but it raised the temps too far

I've got filters on all my systems, on all intakes. The filter material doesn't decrease air flow any appreciable amount, and not having all that dust clogging everything up makes it well worthwhile. I use filters like those found here

i use the metal mesh filters and since i have added them my case temps have been the same. There is a lot of dust around here so it is great that i can keep most of it out and still keep decent temps.

I use a filter on my 120mm intake fan. I got tired of cleaning the dust out of my heatsink.

I am not notice any change in temps.

Kyle

Be sure to wash the filters out every now and then, Before I added all of the fans to my system, I noticed a drop in temp after cleaning the filters out.

yea, i use filter on all my intakes. i use the Aluminum mesh kind, which restrict around 25% of your airflow, while the Plastic mesh one restrict up to 50% of your airflow, but they are worth it.
DUST KILLS COMPONENTS!!!:mad:

I use filters on all my intakes. It doesnt stop all the dust but it minimizes it. The bottom pair of 80mm use the ones supplied with the Lian Li & the 120mm uses THIS.

dust.jpg

filter2.jpg

Last edited:
I use the filters sonny posted on all my machines. Very little reduction in airflow and they quiet the fans a bit. Mouser Electronics has them for a lot less than the overclocking shops.

Ive done this to get the benifets of a filter and minimize the amount of air flow loss,just use a filter that was made for a larger fan.Mount the 80mm fan and over that mount a 120mm filter.I have no data but my filters stay cleaner alot longer drawing the same amount of air through a larger filter.

I have aluminum filters on the 2 120mm intake fans on the bottom of my case. Between the fan and mesh is a dryer sheet. Temps did not change and dust was reduced.
Before I put the filters on I had dropped a box of packing peanuts next to my computer with spectacular results:p Sounded like popcorn in my computer.

I use nylons stretched out for filters, and it works great!
You have to stretch them out good to keep them from being restrictive, and you can't beat the price...free, and the Mrs buys the black ones too.

I have one on the (wye pipe) air intake of my bong also...no difference in temps or fan rpm with or without the filter.
My 120mm fan is on the top of the bong, with the filter being removable for easy filling. It gets dusty within a couple of days, so I clean it often. I haven't needed to clean my bong out since I put the nylons on it, and the bottom is lit up with green diodes, so I can see through the water (12" deep) to the bottom.

If you stretch the nylons out until they are like a fine screen instead of being a fabric, they work much much better.

Back