• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whoops..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

taco_fox

I think I killed my Radeon 8500 today. I was attempting to volt mod it using the pencil trick. Well, I raised the core from 1.625v to 1.836v easily enough. But then I messed up the memory somehow and it went from 3.52v to 2.something and now I get nothing but gibberish on my screen :(.

I tried cleaning off the pencil lead (checked the voltages and they're back at stock), but no go. So is the card totally dead now, or is there anyway to revive it?

If not, then what's another card that overclocks really well? I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of a 9500 np or pro (cheap), but I haven't been keeping up with what is good to get. Any advise on what new card to get will be helpful!

By the way, I got one last score out of my card before I killed it and I'm back in the lead again in the 3DMark Team: 12,312. Good luck, jdmcnudgent, I guess you have no competition now..

Cheesy Peas

thats kinda odd, you made the voltage go lower and killed it? umm that is kinda weird, unless its a typo, and you meant from 2.52 to 3. something, then that would have killed the memory for sure.

Get a new 9500 non pro, and mod it like many others have done.

OP
T

taco_fox

When I checked it with my multimeter, it said 2.something and that's when I noticed the screen going crazy. Weird.

Is there any specific brand of 9500 np I should go for?

juliendogg

Man Taco, bummer about your 8500 bro, great cards. I've been shopping for an r9500np myself to have a go at the 9500-9800 soft-mod. If it works out then awesome, if it doesn't i still get a good card for a reasonable price i suppose.

shedding a tear for your 8500,

J.

*oh btw, if you find your card is dead and you wanna unload it, pm me :D"

J.

OP
T

taco_fox

Well, that's the risk I take when I overclock. I personally don't regret any of it (ok maybe I will when my bank statement comes in..).

Sorry juliendogg, I like to keep my old, burnt-out hardware as a badge of honor :)