• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whos has time?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

epauls

I'm wondering if anyone out there has time to create the following

I'm looking for an easy network deployment. So 'thoretically" if you had 93 computers you wanted to install on. :D

Here is what I was hoping for. A MS Server script file that installs F@H upon logon.
It would install the non gui version as a service on NT/2000/XP. It would check for an existing instalation and pass over if there is one.
I would like it to set the Gromacs and SSE flags.

I kno wthis should be pretty easy, it's just been over 4 years since I have written one so ...

Any help would be appretiated.

i jsut asked about installing over a network. search this forum for it or go back like 2-3 pages. there's an installer that works over a network and will install on all machines available.

Assuming WinNT or W2K, one possible problem is that whatever is in the script would execute with the rights of the user logging on. If users on the LAN get local admin rights on their own PCs, no biggie, but something to consider. Users with just user rights wouldn't be able to write to the registry to get the service installed.

Any LANDesk admins in the bunch? Their package builder takes a before and after snapshot, and creates a self installing executable of the diff that can be run silently. Don't even need the mgmt server to install the package once it's built. You could just throw it in the logon script.

I used to have access to the tools, but not any more:(

Do they have to have admin rights? I think power user type rights will work also....

I thought power users had a lot of the same things as a Administrator, yet they cant set access rights for or above there "rank" and they cant modify the registry?

Not sure. That's why I asked :D
I thought they could edit registry but....
I usually let the employee who uses the computer be a power user of that WS.
The more I think about it, they are able to install software so technically they have the ability to edit registry....

I did this with a batch file - not entirely the same as the service install doesn't work on our systems. I used it to log on as one test user one Friday last thing, which in turn started all the machines, downloaded the core and got to work. Then I just left them until Tuesday morning when work reopened and switched them all off before anyone noticed...!

The full batch file is in a post somewhere by me from a few weeks back, have a look through the older posts or look for my name and if you can't find it then I'll have a look when I get home. You might beat my 'active processors' record though so I don't know if I should help you... ;)

Good luck!

I've clean installed w2lk several times and when it comes time to create the first user account, it always creates an admin group user without me even trying. I pretty much have full rights without ever logging in as admin. Not very secure but handy for home use.

I'm pretty sure that anything we might cook up using the service installer, or that nifty vb script from the aussies, would need to be run by a user who is local admin over the box. Power users won't be able to install services.

linkage:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;278874

I'd be curious whether the vb script that goes on a "seek and deploy" mission then uses the credentials of the user logged on to each target ws, or the credentials of the person pushing the clients to install the service.

Back