• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why a TBird @ 1.1GHz and 75'C should be OK ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hinge

Registered
These parts are spec'd with a max 95'C junction (transistor) temp. I know new technology chips must stay below 105'C junction to ensure long-term life (+10yrs) so AMD may even have some pad with the 95'C spec.

If we throw in another 10'C pad down to 85'C max junction and allow 10'C delta between the transistors and the bottom of the CPU package (articles with data say it's only 5'C delta) where the motherboard temp sensor touches, then we should be OK with a 75'C sensor reading, right ???

You might not be able to overclock the 1.1GHz much higher because higher temps hurt performance, but if your system is stable at 75'C, I don't understand what else there is to worry about. Am I missing something ?

If AMD specs it at 95'C junction, then it should reliably operate at that condition for a long time. Again 95'C junction = 75'C sensor ( allowing 10'C of pad ).

I look forward to your feedback, as I am puzzled by all this money being spent on keeping the temps in the 40-50'C range.

Hinge

Well, here is my answer.
Basically, electronics runs better when they are cooler. COOLER IS BETTER~!!
Of course the chip will run at 75 without no problem...except few FREEZEs and all. Don't try running your CPU at that temperature for long. AMD spec of 90 C is the MAXIMUM the chip can be operated at.
If you can get as low as possible in temp, you can run the chip faster correspondingly. (With limitation ofcourse)
So, I don't recommend you running any chip at 75 or even 65 degrees C. Just get yourself a nice cooler and let your chip run at it;s comfortable temperature and not toasting it.

My issue is this, if your system is stable and you are happy with it's performance, but the CPU temp is 60'C, don't put any more time into cooling issues - put that time into playing your favorite games !

Now, I know alot of people just like to tinker with PCs just like our Dad's liked to tinker with cars and that's fine - that's what a hobby is for. But for those people who aren't tinkering, but just want to make sure they are not endangering their CPU, they need to know that the bottomline is 60'C is OK as long as their system is stable. Or even 75'C per the reasoning above.

Again, I'm open to reasoning that proves me wrong, but I haven't been able to come up with any yet.

Hinge out

Your theory is ok, but that's all it is - theory.

95C is specified for destruction. At that temp the core will incurr damage and ultimately melt. Noone says that the CPU will work reliably at 95C, nor at 85 or 75C.

If if it was working reliably, a 75C CPU will heat up the surroundings, mainly the underside of the motherboard and even if it does not fail by itself, it may lead to failures in other components by adding to their heat load.

Moreover what do you do if room temperatures rise. Assume you reach the 75C at winter room temp of 18C, and then in summer it gets up to say 27. Now your CPU will likely run in the mid 80s....

Yo

95'C for 1.1 GHz TBird is not a "destructive" spec, it is the make die temp for guaranteed NORMAL OPERATION ( I just checked the AMD spec). For 1.0GHz and below the spec is 90'C. Again, this is die temp so you have to allow ~10'C delta for the motherboard sensor touching the bottom of the CPU so the sensor limits are then 85'C & 80'C respectively.

Most PC boards are designed to handle ~55'C temperatures so I agree you need to watch both so you should set your temp alarms at 45'C for the system board & 75'C for a 1.1GHz TBird (1.75V core).

Think of the max 95'C spec in the say as as the 1.85V max Vcore spec. They are both listed in the OPERATING CONDITIONS section of the AMD spec. However, under the ABSOLUTE MAX RATINGS, AMD says 1.85V + 0.5V or 2.35V so stay away from 2.35Vcore. No ABSOLUTE MAX die temp was listed, however. Probably would be >=105'C per my reference above.

Anyway, appreciate the comments/viewpoint - definitely an interesting subject.

Hinge out

Back