• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why am i getting smp a1 WUs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobnova

I've gotten four in a row on one box now, including after a complete delete/reinstall. 30 minute frame times instead of 13 minute frames really hurts.

Anyone else getting A1's?

OP
Bobnova

Bobnova

This one box just will not let go of the A1!
I flushed it two more times, more A1's.
I make a bogus A1 core and locked it's permissions with root so it just couldn't be used (FAHlog.txt doesn't execute well :D), and it downloaded four or five new WUs, all A1s.

I hope my other boxes don't get stuck with 'em when they finish their a2's.

Poor work box is going to take a little over two days to finish the a1.

EDIT:
Ok, flushed it one last time before cleaning the kitchen, and got an A2.
Must have just been a bad run. Thread's over i guess :p

Adak

All part of the folding gig, Bobnova. A1's need to be folded, too.

If you want to change folding clients, please do - Stanford uses different clients and projects ppd to show which need more priority, right now.

Within a folding client, please fold what you get, without deleting a certain type of project. Stanford takes a very dim view of "cherry picking", and the servers have been programmed to give you back, upon deletion, the same type of WU you had last time, for that very reason.

augie1111

If you want to change folding clients, please do - Stanford uses different clients and projects ppd to show which need more priority, right now.

Within a folding client, please fold what you get, without deleting a certain type of project. Stanford takes a very dim view of "cherry picking", and the servers have been programmed to give you back, upon deletion, the same type of WU you had last time, for that very reason.

I only had one a1 a few weeks ago and someone has to fold them sooner or later and finally get rid of them once and for all! We all get hit.:)

OP
Bobnova

Bobnova

Interesting, i'll let 'em sit in the future.
I do feel like pointing out the single thread SMP stuff, i still get assigned those every now and then, but the 2.10 core just dumps 'em. If they're still in the mix, wouldn't what you said apply to them too?

Adak

Single core SMP ? I haven't heard of those. Do you mean the classic one core folding client?
It doesn't use SMP.

I know Stanford fell behind generating WU's in the recent past, but I've never been given a one core classic client, after setting up the SMP client (for either 2 or 4 cores).

A few years back, there were several teams that supported "cherry picking" their WU's. Someone had worked out a way to do it, and they passed it on to their teammates.

Before too long, it was a big hornet's nest, and Stanford's normally hospitable disposition changed. :mad:

If Stanford's client program or server, is favoring a particular WU, you can be sure it's by Stanford's design, and it's fine - it's their project, and only they know what they need the most of, at any time.

For us to start choosing WU's, is a completely different matter, and leads to a real breakdown of the FAH project. We have (and must keep), our respective roles here. We are the followers and supporters, Vijay Pande and his staff at Stanford, are the leaders. Gotta keep them rear wheels, behind them thar front wheels. :D

ChasR

Bob's refering to the time several months back when there were a whole bunch of bad a2 WUs that ran on one core. They were so slow they wouldn't make the deadline anyway, so they had to be dumped. V2.10 was made to automatically dump these WUs, flag them and take them out of circulation. THis bears no relationship to cherry picking WUs (dumping the ones you don't want).
I think you will drastically reduce the chance of being assigned an a1 WU if you run with -advmethods enabled.

OP
Bobnova

Bobnova

Ok this is funny, stanford stuck the work box that i was (foolishly) battling against A1's on with another A1, it's folding merrily along (has been for a day or so now, will be for another day and a bit. Stupid things fold slooooow), and just for a little retribution it nailed my other work box with an A1 as well.
Home box is still on A2s, thankfully.
I just hope the work box manages to finish in time with 30m frame times.