• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WHY are OEMS so weird

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think they just misspelled it. its not OEM, its kfbs (kills first born son).

(Im sorry if any one has lost children to a poorly manufactured computer)

its all about marketing ... "see all the special extra's we give you? that's why we are better than the other guys ..."

course they never tell you that most of them are eval copies that you have to pay for the full version ... nor do they tell you 70% you wont use ...

greyharte said:
its all about marketing ... "see all the special extra's we give you? that's why we are better than the other guys ..."

course they never tell you that most of them are eval copies that you have to pay for the full version ... nor do they tell you 70% you wont use ...
It is about product exposure. Many people will keep using the same program they first learn on. That is the reason a developer will pay to have thier product on an OEM. Even if it is hobbled. Once the enduser upgrades to a more robust product, they will be prone to look only at that product name.

There is a few valueadd apps that come to mind.
Nero/Adaptec..oops Roxio
Word
Norton/Mcafee
MMJB

..edit
"dont forget quicken"

Last edited:
The pay to inlcude in an OEM does not limit iself to just a computer.

DVD's do it and motherboards. Sound/video cards can be tossed in too. (I hate installing my Creative software.. It dumps that AOL linky crap on my machine.)

ziggo0 said:
having drivers installed for hardware that isnt in even in the box!!!!

LOL. I noticed that, too!

Noticed Nvidia drivers in "Add/Remove Programs" despite having non-Nvidia hardware!

Back