• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why are people vid pinning their TH7-II's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Floodblur

Registered
I understand they're doing it to be able to increase the voltage even higher, but doesn't the TH7-II's BIOS already let you to set voltage up to a max of 2.2V?

Nope. The BIOS has the capability of going that high, but depending on the default voltage of the CPU you're using, it'll automatically limit the settings allowed to only a little bit above that value. With the current Northwoods that have a default of 1.5v, the max setting allowed in the official "38" BIOS is only a wimpy 1.625v.

Oh, thanks, that kinda sucks. Will future BIOS updates get around this problem?

Also, I've looked at the procedure for vid pinning the cpu, and must you connect the loops on the pins to somethng else or is that it: Looping a wire around the pins for the appropriate voltage. The reason I ask is because in one of the blown up pictures it appears that the wire then leaves the cpu and might be connected elsewhere.

There is rumor that the next official BIOS will allow more voltage settings. There is a hacked "77" BIOS that allows up to 1.85v (go to the sticky in this topic for the link). The wire wrap thing only connects the pins. The tail of the wire is just wrapped around the edge of the chip to help hold it on and to keep it from falling off when you insert the CPU into the socket.

Back