• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why can't CPU go higher

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LilBuddy

i have a 1.4 thunderbird AYHJA-Y. i read that this is close to the top one of the batches. but i have read people hittin over 1600mhz with it. mine won't boot over 1584mhz. it won't go higher using any FSB or any multipier combo.

running on:

IWILL KK266+
ATI Radeon 7500
384mb PC133
300W Compusa Power Supply

what type of cooling are you using and what voltage are you pushing through it. high 1500's is very good for a 1.4 tbird. the 1.4 was the last of the line and therefore didin't have much headroom left in it.

Iam guessing its at its limit! each cpu has a different limit so don't worry if everyones is higher! there will probably be more lower tho!

i am running a volcano 9 HSF. my temps are usually around mid to low 50's at full load. but before i even overclocked, by CPU was around the high 50's, so i don't think cooling is a problem. i am running it at 140x11 right now and i can run Unreal Tournament, so i think it is pretty stable. but much more above there, and it won't go.

my question i guess is, why can't i utilize any multipliers above about 11. i can run 140x11 all day, but can't run 144x11. 138x11.5 won't run either.

why can't i use the higher multiplier?

i'm not real sure about voltage, but it is set at 1.85 in the bios.

MBM 5 says:

Core 0=1.94
+3.3=3.4
+5.0=4.86
+12.0=12.48

Sounds like that is just the max for your CPU...especially with the temps in the mid to high 50's Celsius.

lower the mult real low and see how high the fsb will go. then lower the fsb to default and push the multiplier as high as you can get it. the second will give you the limit to the chip the first will give you the limit of the fsb you want to then get as close the the highest speed of the chip using the highest fsb you can use. You want to keep heat down too. what kind of ram are you using? try it with one stick of ram sometimes using 2 sticks will lower your overclock. Also there are some very good begginer guides linked from the main www.overclockers.com main page.Good luck:D

Back