• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why can't I OC my Q6600?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zephyr618

I have a Q6600 proc with an EVGA nForce 790i mobo. If I try to raise the FSB even slightly, my computer either wont start or will crash within minutes of turning on. I have tried changing the FSB from the BIOS and from the nVidia Control Panel software that came with the mobo, both have yielded the same results, horrible failure, that is. What must I do to get this to work?

Last edited:

jaymz9350

I have a Q6600 proc with an EVGA nForce 790i mobo. If I try to raise the FSB even slightly, my computer either wont start or will crash within minutes of turning on. I have tried changing the FSB from the BIOS and from the nVidia Control Panel software that came with the mobo, both have yielded the same results, horrible failure, that is. What must I do to get this to work?

Also CPU-Z says my CPU is at 1600MHz with a multiplier of 6 despite that I have on multiple occasions made sure my multiplier was 9 (which is the factory setting and the highest it can be). nVidia control panel and windows (control panel -> system) both claim the frequency of the CPU is 2.4Ghz with a multiplier of 9. Am I to assume CPUZ can't be trusted?

On the 1600 MHz issue it is most likely just to power saving features kicking in (EIST and or C1E) This will cause you multiplier to drop to 6 to conserve power when at idle. Try loading your cpu with something like prime95 and watch cpu-z to see if it changes back to 9x.

OP
Z

Zephyr618

I ran the stress test and u were right. It jumped up to 9x when the test started. Though I still have the problem of being unable to raise my FSB at all.

Parad0x420

:welcome: to OCF

Please either post your full system specs or put it in a signature if you wouldn't mind. So far we can only tell what 2 of your system components are.. CPU and M/B. Could you define slightly raising the FSB? by 1 or 2? maybe by 5 mhz increments?
One thing that might help is entering BIOS and disabling EIST or C1E function under CPU options, so the proc won't throttle down.
Have you checked CPU and RAM voltages? When you just raise the FSB it's also going to increase your RAM speed, which may either end up needing more voltage or maybe something else I can't think of is acting up. I don't have much experience OC'ing Intel's chips, but I do have an E6300 Wolfdale 2.8 @ 3.47GHz running OCCT in the other room as I type this.. so I'm not as lost as I thought I might be :p

OP
Z

Zephyr618

:welcome: to OCF

Please either post your full system specs or put it in a signature if you wouldn't mind. So far we can only tell what 2 of your system components are.. CPU and M/B. Could you define slightly raising the FSB? by 1 or 2? maybe by 5 mhz increments?
One thing that might help is entering BIOS and disabling EIST or C1E function under CPU options, so the proc won't throttle down.
Have you checked CPU and RAM voltages? When you just raise the FSB it's also going to increase your RAM speed, which may either end up needing more voltage or maybe something else I can't think of is acting up. I don't have much experience OC'ing Intel's chips, but I do have an E6300 Wolfdale 2.8 @ 3.47GHz running OCCT in the other room as I type this.. so I'm not as lost as I thought I might be :p

Intel Q6600 processor
EVGA nForce 790i mobo
2 PNY 9800GTX+ in SLI
6Gb of Corsair DDR3 1333Mhz RAM

I don't really care if the proc throttles down as long as it goes back up when it's under load.

By slightly I mean 5Mhz, I had looked around and read that increasing in 5Mhz increments was a good idea so I tried it.

A while ago I had heard that horrible things happen when inexperienced people raise the voltage but I tried it anyway and it did not help, windows tried to load and it immediately went to the blue screen. This wasn't recently so I tried again, just raising the voltages up .05V and the FSB up 5Mhz and it is actually running OK. I'm gonna try raising it up 10Mhz

Last edited:

Parad0x420

Hmm.. 6GB of RAM.. is that a 2x2GB pair with a 2x1GB for a total of 4 sticks? I really hope that isn't the triple channel 6GB pack made for the i7s. If it's matched the first way I mentioned.. try removing either pair of sticks and going at it with either 4GB or 2GB of the RAM installed. Also what kind of voltage is the RAM receiving? My pair of Corsair DDR3 wants a bit more than stock voltage applied to them, they get 1.8v.

OP
Z

Zephyr618

Hmm.. 6GB of RAM.. is that a 2x2GB pair with a 2x1GB for a total of 4 sticks? I really hope that isn't the triple channel 6GB pack made for the i7s. If it's matched the first way I mentioned.. try removing either pair of sticks and going at it with either 4GB or 2GB of the RAM installed. Also what kind of voltage is the RAM receiving? My pair of Corsair DDR3 wants a bit more than stock voltage applied to them, they get 1.8v.

Its 3 sticks of 2Gb RAM, the factory setting is 1.5V and they are dual channel. But more important than that is that after restarting my comp and entering the BIOS to up the FSB further I found that it was at the factory setting. The voltages were too. I brought the FSB up 5Mhz and the voltages up .05V again and checked CPU-Z this time after starting my comp. The changes didn't take effect, the voltages were still at the factory settings as well as the FSB. This is very weird considering they certainly took effect before when the comp wouldn't start. I'm gonna try again with the power saving settings off.

Update: The changes still didn't take effect, I'm gonna try just raising the FSB and not the Voltages like I was before.

Ok so I increased only the FSB (by 5Mhz) and CPU-Z said my FSB was up by 2Mhz, I didn't care, at least it didn't crash. I tried again with 10Mhz and it, once again, started fine but CPU-Z said the FSB was still only up by 2Mhz. Also when I went into the BIOS both times, the settings were all at their defaults, including the C1E function. Why can I no longer change things in my BIOS?

I brought the FSB up to 1150 (default is 1066) just to see if I could do anything to it. The comp crashed soon after windows booted. I went to the BIOS after restarting and saw that these changes were still there. I quit. Thanks for your help, sorry for wasting your time.

Last edited:

hank123

Pop 1 stick out so your running in dual Chanel. (total of 4 gigs.) running the ram you have in tri is of i7's and i5's only. This is part of your problem. Im sure this ram will work for you. you need to up the voltage on your ram.

What model of DDR3 are you running friend? oh and welcome to the forums its nice to have you here!