• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why didn't I think of this sooner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neco

...Those of us who don't have/can't afford/have no use for - air compressors.

They are handy for cleaning out dust from your PC... But if that's all you'd need to use it for you are wasting money I guess.

Soooo..... toss your PC into the car, and take a trip to the gas station. Most still have free air :p

Wanna know the even better alternative? I don't buy canned air. I don't use air compressors.

I use my vacuum cleaner. This way, the dust goes away instead of moving around too.

Krusty said:
Wanna know the even better alternative? I don't buy canned air. I don't use air compressors.

I use my vacuum cleaner. This way, the dust goes away instead of moving around too.

I've thought of that, but haven't actually tried it. Sounds plausable.

I had to take my server to work last week...MBM5 was goin' off, because the temps were getting up there. I couldn't believe all the gunk that came out of my HSF's...:eek:

I think what I'm gonna do, is look into getting one of those little 2 or 3 gallon air tanks, and just take it w/ me to work and refill it when needed. Depends on the pressure that I can get out of the line.

I'm getting tired of buying can after can of air...:rolleyes: There's gotta be a better way...

I'll break out the vac tomorrow...that oughta make the wife happy at least...:D (provided I vacuum more than the PC's...)

mr b. just to let you know most of those tanks aren't quite air tight. you lose pressure over time.

you'd be better off buying a small air compressor at homedepot or something. its actually something that is quite usefull for many other things as well.

Most air compressors are pretty strong, it might actually damage your equipment, well at least the higher end ones.

my dad is a carpenter and when he had his old compressor with a nail gun attached could shoot a staple several hundred feet.

I recommended this (Gas Station service air hose) a couple days ago in this thread. I called the idea "lame" but it isn't all that bad. It's just the part where you gotta' lug that sucker all the way to the gas station and I'm thinking most of us arn't down with that idea.

The vaccum cleaner is also a good idea.

But let's be serious people. How many times do you dust out your case? And when you do, you also dust out that PSU right? And the best way to get in there is with the little straw-thingy with the compressed air can. One can will typically last me for 6 months.

My father has a rather large air compressor. Like 4 feet long and 2 feet high. That thing works absolute wonders to clean out. I do it once a month with every LAN party. My friends love it too...I could lift one of my dogs up in the air with that damn thing. :D

depends on the air you use. I've noticed that the high pressure cans tend to go fast. My sam's club air isn't the highest pressure around, but it does the job and lasts a while. The can I got at target a while ago was REALLY high pressure. Could take off a limb if you werent careful, rofl......but I managed to use it all in a single sitting, heh.

The vacuum cleaner doesn't really get the dust out as good as an air compressor. The little cracks in themiddle of the heatsinks are a tough one to get at. I generally blow those out with just my breath.

The thing the vacuum cleaner comes in really handy for is my radiator. The underside gets completely coated in a thick layer of dust every few months. All I do to clean it out is jam the long skinny hose attachment in there and it comes out in seconds, without the mess and sneezing.

I also recently took apart my psu and vacuumed it out. That sucker got pretty clogged up over time.

My dad has an industrial air compressor (he paints cars and does bodywork, so it's required). I just take my case outside, crank the pressure up and blast that dust out!

Always runs better after that. You just have to make sure you're holding your fans while you spray them, or you could damage them.

Oni said:
My dad has an industrial air compressor (he paints cars and does bodywork, so it's required). I just take my case outside, crank the pressure up and blast that dust out!

Always runs better after that. You just have to make sure you're holding your fans while you spray them, or you could damage them.

Very good point on the holding of fans...I killed a 40mm NB fan doing that once. Spun it up like a top, and after that, it didn't spin no mo...

As long as I remember to hold 'em, the air at work works a ton better than the canned stuff. 120PSI coming out of the air line...the dust bunnies don't stand a chance. :D It's just is a bugger having to drag the thing to work to do it. :( :rolleyes:

I just want to know where you are going to find a gas station that has free air ? Most of them around here charge .75 for about 2 minutes.

Back