• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why does EMIII freeze when I boot up sometimes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tipycol

It only happens sometimes, but when I boot up the comp to WinXP, and EMIII loads (due to the shortcut being in the start up menu) it sometimes does not respond to anything I do. All I see is that microscope but it won't respond to anything I do to it except ending task from the task manager. Once I do that and restart EMIII it works fine. This is on my P3 rig, any one know what's wrong with it?

Thanks

Tipycol

overdoze

it freezes on my comp too. I just kill it and restart
sometimes it is b/c it could not read the log files on other comp and hang.

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
i have notice this a few times myself, is em3 starting the client? i have noticed that if the client doesn't start before em3 it freezes or em3 doesn't start the client then it freezes on boot:confused:

FOLD ON
NAS

The WeatherMan

There are a couple of reasons this "Freeze" can happen...

1) If you are watching systems over a network, each one of them will be given up to 60 seconds to respond. This makes it look like EM is frozen because it is totally focused on trying to establish a connection. After 60 seconds it will give up and mark that connection as bad and move to the next one. Obviously if there are several bad connections this can take a while before EM will show up and start acting normal.

2) If you have EM check for updates or auto update your stats and the server exists but isn't responding, EM will freeze on "some" systems. I rarely see this happen, but some do. I don't know what makes one computer freeze up when another doesn't. In order to solve this problem I have written some new code that will be in the next release version (2.0.2) I am hoping will cancel the connection if the server hasn't responded withing 30 seconds. That should be long enough to know that something has gone wrong.

Other than those two things, EM should not just freeze out of the blue. I run it 24/7 on my system monitoring 7 boxes and it is very, very rare to have a problem. Thanks to bug reports from everyone, and the fact I run it 24/7, the program is fairly stable for a windows app. :beer:

Last edited:

the_poche

Mine was freeze on win2k , but I dont know if its was at boot time , I just come back from school sometime and its not responding. But it is also using 100% of the CPU and the FAHCore is idle. But right now I dont have that problem anymore , I started using linux fulltime :)

OSUmaxx

The WeatherMan said:
2) If you have EM check for updates or auto update your stats and the server exists but isn't responding, EM will freeze on "some" systems. I rarely see this happen, but some do. I don't know what makes one computer freeze up when another doesn't.

Yeah, if the stat server is down, my EMIII freezes on 2k pro.

hooziewhatsit

on my gf's XP box, whenever I open EMIII, it crashes. I've re-d'led it and reinstalled it several times.

I did have it monitoring another box, but I took that box out of it.

frustrating...

update: went over there tonight, got 2.0.1, and it seems to be working fine :)

Last edited: