• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why does it have to be so confusing :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

liquidfire

Right after reading extensively on different panel types the only real step closer I am to understanding is tn is great for response time but not so good on color accuracy.

Now I've whittled it down to two "slim bezel" monitors that I'm interested in one an AMVA;

And a ips;

Now I'm mainly using my computer for design work and coding eg webpages, photoshop, mobile apps and a bit of blender for fun. However I do enjoy the occasional gaming session :) (12 hour CSS stints :D).

Now the AMVA has VESA mounts and is pivotable whereas ips I've read is king for color accuracy.

Can anyone give me a kick in the backside and point me in the right direction?

I need 3 of them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
Various sources suggest MVA is good for black (games and movies), and IPS is good for colors (work). Either way, both are way better than TN. The whole "TN has better response time" is nothing but an excuse for cheap manufacturing. Other panel types are plenty fast.

Personally, I'd go with 23" or less for 1920x1080. 27" is for 2560x1440 :)

OP
L

liquidfire

Hmm I do agree 1440p would be much better. I just haven't been able to find any slim bezel ones :( (for a reasonable price).

I figure the majority of screens are still at 1080p so best to develop on the same screens your targeting.

Interesting point about tns. Makes perfect sense though.

Get your own thread :p haha i jest. from what I've read anything sub 6ms is acceptable. Obviously faster the better.

Depends on you really on my many monitor hunts I've seen two ips monitors that both quote 5ms response yet one clearly ghosted whilst the other didnt. Maybe manufacturer bull or I was looking at a poor example.

OP
L

liquidfire

Sorry to dig up my oldish thread but I have done yet even more searching and been introduced to korean monitors. They seem to make a reasonably price 1440p fairly slim bezel 27"

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=120901146842

There's other sellers with a perfect pixel offer on.

Now other than warrenty/returns being a huge issue does anyone know of a reason against these?

Supertrucker

Way Too Jealous Member
That's the big drawback, the warranty is useless because it costs too much to ship it back. And if the monitor shows up at your door broken someone had to eat a hundred or so dollars in shipping, be it you or the seller to return it. But they come well packaged, so there is a very small chance of that. A bit of light bleed (which is somewhat fixable if you are willing and able to take the monitor completely apart. And occasionally a dead pixel or 3. This being due to low cost housings and A- grade panels.

I've had mine for about a year and a half now and I still love it, you couldn't pay me to trade down to a tn panel.

If you happen to live in the U.S.A. by a microcenter they sell an equivalent monitor for 399.99 with a warranty that is actually usable. They ship them too but that leaves you having to ship it for warranty work again, but it would at least be a u.s. address, which shouldn't be as costly as Korea.

OP
L

liquidfire

Unfortunately I'm in the uk :(

Brilliant response thank you :)

I've had very mixed luck with warranty on various products to the extent somtimes it just wasnt worth the hassle of trying :D. Easier to fix it myself haha.

Ill have to read up some more but I'm really leaning towards taking the plunge.

Which one do you have if you don't mind me asking.

Also just to pick your brain a bit more is it really worth going the displayport version route just to cut down on adaptors/cable or is it just wasting my money?

Supertrucker

Way Too Jealous Member
I have a catleap q270. If you think you will ever change the stand I advise against the catleap, it requires you to take the case off the LCD to get at the vesa mounts. Or at least it did 18 months ago. Dvi (dual link) works fine for me, I've never used display port but I imagine it is the same thing at the end of the day.