• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why' does it still sell 105 bucks??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funnyperson1

supply and demand, many people want a peice of graphics history, and supply is dwinidling....a V5 6000 goes on ebay for 3000$ event though a Geforce3 can crush it in all but glide games

Henry Rollins II

3dfx is gone and soon nobody will remember the voodoo cards. :(
Its hard to understand why, there was a time not too long ago when the Voodoo cards OWNED the market. Maybe they suffered from poor mangament

Maybe I should put my old Voodoo1 in a frame and label it "the first real 3D card".

moorcito

Didn't we see this same question and thread about two weeks ago?

Talk about history, I forsee that this question will be popping up every couple of weeks.:D

I think that thread was some 50 posts kind of like this:

Post1: Voodoo 5 still selling for $105 WTF?...

Post2: 3dfx rocks, they were the best cards ever,etc...

Post3: 3dfx sucks, that's why they went out of business,etc...

Post4: Same stuff ad infinitum...

wildfrogman

well, Probably for flight sim people that have tons of games that would work really well with a voodoo5 card in glide and such. Some of these older flight sim~combat flight sims dont run at great fps~visual quality overall gets a big hit if its not in glide. And well only 3dfx can do glide so that narrows down why people are getting these cards. Not for playing UT2k3 and such heheh, as i would emagine them getting stomped but in certain things they do very well.

nut581

What actually happened w/ Voodoo, anybody knows? i used to remember those days where Voodoo 3 rules above all others .. and now .. pheww ...

Mystikal

I NEED TO CONTACT SILVERSINKSAM TO DISCUSS $80 I o
I still have a voodoo 5 5500 sitting on my spare parts bench. would still be running it if i didnt have my radeon 8500 128mb.

snyper1982

I loved them too, i still use my v3 3000 as my back up. cant really play any games with it, but at least it is reliable.

ShadowFolder

respect 4 voodoo!!! :D
(we'll never forget!)

i have a voodoo3 3000, and i can't play anything! :(
but, it runs nice on operation flashpoint :)
(operation flashpoint! only game still supports glide:p)

ShadowFolder

new games always supports nvidia optimised d3d,
when i run any game with my voodoo3, dx error scrrens fills my screen :(

anybody knows "new game with glide support"???

Tamasha_Strife

Why would anyone support an API that is no longer used ??? :confused:

Anyhow 3dfx died when the voodoo3 and TNT2 came out. TNT2 beat the 3dfx card hands down :D Go nVidia!!! I dont know if you remember but 3dfx ppl used to be such pain in the a**. They didnt even offer 32bit color support because "nobody played games at anything but 800x600 16bit colors" yeah right...

That's what got 3dfx killed. They didnt know what their costumers wanted...

However we should be grateful for 3dfx because it's really thanks to them that video cards became so important. They pretty much invented 3d accelerator cards. nVidia took the concept and made it into what it is today. Things have come a loooooooong way since the good ol' Voodoo w/ 4mb of RAM ;)

Emericana

well i have a Voodoo Rush. A 6mb version. Very very rare. Called intense 3d voodoo. it still runs to this day in my pentium 133mhz backup backup box.

voodoo rush was the first 3dfx 2d/3d combo card

ShadowFolder

Tamasha_Strife said:
However we should be grateful for 3dfx because it's really thanks to them that video cards became so important. They pretty much invented 3d accelerator cards. nVidia took the concept and made it into what it is today. Things have come a loooooooong way since the good ol' Voodoo w/ 4mb of RAM ;)

that's why i still love 3dfx!:D

anybody remember the "3dfx product box pictures"? ;)
(face made of fire on voodoo5, neon bright green face on voodoo3)

IR1

Both my bro's still run 3dfx cards. They play counter-strike and it works great. they both have voodoo 3 3000 I gave him my old v3 3000 when I got my gf3 ti500. One of my bro's is selling a v5 5500 PCI on ebay that he got at a flea market. He used it for a little while. The difference between PCI and AGP V5 5500 was very very small. I looked up a couple old reviews that compared them. Difference was like 3 fps on most tests.

ShadowFolder

IR1 said:
The difference between PCI and AGP V5 5500 was very very small. I looked up a couple old reviews that compared them. Difference was like 3 fps on most tests.

:eek:3 fps difference on pci...

it's weird!:eh?:

cack01

From staples:
The Voodoo5 5500 AGP from 3dfx is the next stage in the evolution of ultra-high resolution gaming. Utilizing a revolutionary scalable architecture, the Voodoo5 5500 AGP features dual 3dfx VSA-100 chips for more 3D horsepower. Working in parallel, these processors produce over 667 Megatexels per second to create extraordinary 3D worlds in vivid 32-bit color. Boasting state-of-the-art Real-Time Full-Scene HW Anti-Aliasing, the exclusive T-Buffer Digital Cinematic Effects engine, 64MB of graphics memory for top performance and support for 2D resolutions as high as 2048x1536, the Voodoo5 5500 AGP gives today's PC gamers the raw 3D power and premium 2D performance they crave.

What a great price too. I'd be stupid not to buy it. 3DFX is still my favorite video card company.