• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why does win XP try to access floppy drive after loading?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Duster.

Hi,
Why does my A:drive(floppy) try to access just as Windows XP has finished loading?
I'm not talking about the Floppy access that happens when the BIOS has finished, but this happens just before windows has finished loading.

I'm new to Windows XP, so maybe this is normal, I'm not sure.

I have no virus software running, so its not that.
I think it is something to do with the clearing the documents folder, I have tried clearing the doc's folder before closing down windows, but each time I switch back on, there is a new document in the clear list.I have no idea what this document is, as I can find it anywhere.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
It's normal. Most machines do it, there are some that don't.

I believe it is the computer loading the items in "My Computer", but I could be mistaken, it could be anything.. initializing the floppy drive, possibly...

OP
Duster.

Duster.

Hi Guys.
Thanks for all the help.
Ive solved the problem...........Me bad......I did it myself.
I was trying to lower the list of services that are loaded each time Windows starts.
I set the following to disable-
Automatic updates
remote registry service
secondary logon
themes

As I read it was safe to do this, But as a side affect I got the problem with the A: drive.
As soon as I enabled the above services, the A :drive returned to normal.
Do you guys know why this should happen? And is there any way for disabling the services without the a A: drive problem.

thanks again for you help.

The Revelation

Registered

Those services really shouldn't have to access the A: drive. Maybe the registry one, looking for a backup perhaps.. I dunno.

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
If I'm not mistaken, it's actually a problem that is trying to be addressed by Windows. Windows doesn't know when you stick in a new floppy (like Macs do), because Windows wasn't built to do that. It is not an error of the floppy drive manufacturers, but Micrsoft. I think what's happening is it's looking for a disk, and if it finds one, it'll cache the contents so you can view them faster, but I could be full o' sh**.

Z

OP
Duster.

Duster.

Hi Guys
Bad news.....it's still not fixed.....
I switch on today, and the problem was back.
but this time, the drive started running about 3 nmins after windows was loaded.
Ive got this error message in my event log, anyone know what it means?
Windows saved user *****-pc\***** registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the users registry has not been freed. the registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.
This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run ether the local service or network service account.

Can anyone tell me what this means, and what I should do about it?

If this is not the cause, then I'm out of ideas.....

Thanks for your help.
:confused:

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
I found another thread here:
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/n1027829249

the only replies say:
-antivirus software, etc. may be causing this,
-hacker

personally I think it's the antivirus software. the other guy does't know what he's talking about. the floppy drive on startup would be that your antivirus program wants to check to see if there's a disk in that drive (and possibly try to auto-scan it's boot sector)

OP
Duster.

Duster.

Hi Su Root,
Thanks for your reply,
But I dont have any Virus software running on this PC.
And as for a Hacker, This PC doesnt really go on to the internet much, it only goes online to get updates.

Thanks again for your help.