• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why I believe the Aeroflow performs so well.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chasingapple

I was reading the OC homepage as I do every day, and happened along this little article... Click here and it was one of the best reads of mine in awhile...finally something constructive to explain a little on why some heatsinks work better then others with particular fans.

Now everyone knows (well, everyone that knows me) I like the Vantec Aeroflow, I have always believed its particular design has given it its awesome cooling potential..but I had no real way of knowing "HOW" til now. After you read that article you might also understand why the Aeroflow performs so well even though it is a Copper / Aluminum hybrid cooler. (at least it performs well on P4's)

Just the simple design of the heatsink itself that channels the air where it needs to go and the use of a TMD fan to get more of that presious air to the core of the heatsink where that beautiful copper rests is now more clear to me.

Thanks OC.com!

Now everyone knows (well, everyone that knows me) I like the Vantec Aeroflow,

Partly because of you and few others out here I am now also one of the people that like the Aeroflow. The 45c is when I'm running p95. Not legendary temps but stable, quiet, and fast. Gotta' be that much better on a Pentium.

One more vote for the Aeroflow.

Hey check me out, I can cut and paste!!!

There is no point to buying one so just get a normal fan with higher airflow...

I'll say what I've said before about them:

They're underpowered
They don't keep up in airflow
*They really don't decrease the dead zone for all intencive purposes

*Take special note of that.

What you people don't seem to know, or don't place any relevance in is the fact that 80%+ of the airflow comes from the last 30%- of the blades for our fans and their designs.

The simple fact that it has blades going down the middle farther would make you think it puts more air there now wouldn't you? That fact is correct. Where you all get incorrect is that there is very little air moving there...

Enough on the TMD fan's! Overpriced and yall keep getting sucked into them, and it kills me... LoL too funny!

Toysrme said:

They're underpowered

What you people don't seem to know, or don't place any relevance in is the fact that 80%+ of the airflow comes from the last 30%- of the blades for our fans and their designs.

The simple fact that it has blades going down the middle farther would make you think it puts more air there now wouldn't you? That fact is correct. Where you all get incorrect is that there is very little air moving there...

Enough on the TMD fan's! Overpriced and yall keep getting sucked into them, and it kills me... LoL too funny!

The world seems to disagree with you, I trust reliable sources, not your opinion. Show me some facts to back up your view and I will reconsider.

Toysrme said:

They're underpowered

Yeah I would have to aggree, get a fan and put your finger in the middle now slowly pull it out toward the edge, no air in the middle ofcourse, get to where the blades connect to the hub and you will feel little to no air, until you reach about 2/3's of the outer edge is when you will start to feel air and the little tiny bit you feel before maybe makes 0.2C of a difference, so the tmd fan is not gonna be any better, it is overpriced and has low reliability and a high DOA.

That dead zone is why I think we ought to try blowers instead of fans. They have the same range of airflow ratings, and they're not any louder if designed well. They do take a bit more space, though.

Toysrme's stats are darn close, I think.

I used to work in the ventilation industry. worked with large fans(8" - 48"). I know this isn't apples to apples but close.

the TMD fan on the aeroflow isn't very efficient in my books. if it had a short intake cone and a lighter blade it would be better.

Simply put, the TMD fan directs more air to the center then a normal fan, I would prefer a blower like the new coolermaster Aero 7+, but I am waiting for them to release the higher RPM ones.

Why Use The Tip-Magnetic Driving Fan (T.M.D. Fan)?
Tip-Magnetic Driving Fan (T.M.D. FAN) relocates motor from traditional location of central hub to the 4 corners.
COOLING POWER
It reduces 75% of traditional motor hub area. This revolutionary breakthrough not only increases 30% of airflow and static pressure, but also brings air stream directly to the centralized heat source. As a result, T.M.D. FAN improves the efficiency of heat dissipation at least 15%.
POWER CONSUMPTION / TORQUE
Locating motor at 4 corners substantially expands the room for winding. Thus, lower power consumption can be easily attained. At the same time, the torque of motor becomes even much more powerful than ever.
ACOUSTIC NOISE / BALANCE
The tips of fan blades are the main source of noise when a fan is rotating. The magnet of T.M.D. FAN surrounds along the tips of fan blades. This "tip-magnetic" design eliminates the major noise source of an impeller and provides the suspended balancing force when impeller is rotating.

AeroFlow CPU Cooling Fan ~~ VA4-C7040
~~VP4-C7040

April 2, 2003
~~www.tomshardware.com

February 12, 2003
"The Vantec AeroFlow VP4-C7040 combination of using the Y.S.Tech TMD fan with its superior air flow over conventional heatsink fans and the ingenious heatsinks fin layout Vantec have designed a winner."
~~ www.a1-electronics.co.uk

February 9, 2003
" The AreoFlow performs admirably, noise levels are acceptable and nothing I like better is a quiet system."
~~ www.burnoutpc.com

February 1, 2003
" This thing is a godsend; by far the best heatsink fan in my possession. Vantec has simply outdone themselves, going above and beyond to create something truly unique."
~~ www.hardcoreware.net

January 28, 2003
"There's an awful lot to like about this cooler, great design, innovative fan, incredible clip, and for the cooling capacity it is very quiet."
~~ www.overclockerdcafe.com

January 21, 2003
"All in all, the AeroFlow is a very good cooler. It does the job it was made to do (cool the CPU) quite well, and it wasn't very loud either."
~~ www.extensiontech.net

January 13, 2003
"The test results were excellent. It gets the job done amazingly quietly while weighing in at just shy of 400 grams. This places the VA4-C7040 among the best of the aluminum/ copper coolers."
~~ www.TomsHardware.com

January 2, 2003
"The Vantec Aeroflows are simply amazing. The great built and quality of the Aeroflows make the heat sink a definite buy."
~~ www.ocaddiction.com

December 29, 2002
"The new heatsink design looks impressive and performs it's job very well. The Tip Magnetic Driving fan adds to the quality of the overall design and performance making the AeroFlow quite possibly the quietest CPU cooler of this caliber on the market. Overall, the Vantec AeroFlow is an outstanding product"
~~ www.pcextreme.net

December 11, 2002
"The Vantec performed on par with some copper heatsinks without the weight. This is an excellent product, as it is machined and lapped very well. It is very sturdy, yet very light"
~~www.thinkcomputers.org

December 2, 2002
"Its default temps are very cool and even with moderate overclocking it does very well. Its very cool looking with the TMD fan on it. Its quiet and cools damn good!"
~~www.pcabusers.com

December 2, 2002
"Vantec engineered an interesting technology (read: Aeroflow) that manages to work on both platforms. If you're in need of a nice cooler, without breaking the bank, this is one to watch."
~~www.viperlair.com

November 18, 2002
"The Vantec AeroFlow coolers are designed to fit both Socket 478 and 462 motherboards and are premium products for maximum air cooling. Also, these coolers use a great heatsink and the Tip Magnetic Driving fan which translates into quiet operation and excellent performance."
~~3dGameMan.com

November 14, 2002
"Vantec's Engineer's really one-upped the competition this time with an economical, quiet, high performance HSF. I emphatically recommend this HSF, and would gladly pit this unit up against any competing air-cooled solution on the market, based on the price/performance ratio."
~~ www.neoseeker.com

November 14, 2002
"If you want a TMD-fanned cooler with solid performance, the VA4-C7040 is a perfectly good one."
~~www.dansdata.com

November 14, 2002
"People are going to buy this cooler just for the neat edge-motor fan, but they'll get good performance into the bargain."
~~www.dansdata.com

November 11, 2002
"Get an Aeroflow fast, before they sell out. =) The low noise level itself is worth the investment. The added bonus of remarkable cooling capabilities makes this a no-brainer purchase."
~~www.ocwarehouse.com

November 9, 2002
"At the risk of sounding like a fan-boy, Vantec have themselves one heck of a cooler. It's very well designed, from its copper core placement, to its windtunnel effect, to it's mounting mechanism. The matchup with the TMD Fan seems to be a good idea, as its cooling properties seem to be a perfect match with the heatsink."
~~www.viperlair.com

November 8, 2002
"The VP4-C7040 is definitely a good performing heatsink, and if your looking to do any kind of overclocking, or just want to keep your CPU at a good
temperature, this is definitely something you might want to look into." "This product is highly recommended by VR-Zone!"
~~www.VR-Zone.com

November 6, 2002
"The Aeroflow combines a winning heatsink design where exhaust air is driven out from the the heatsink at the base, and where a copper core helps to move thermal energy more efficiently."
~~www.frostytech.com
"Vantec Aeroflow VP4C7040 has better thermal performance. The combination of a TMD fan, a copper core, and the orientation of the fins come together"
~~www.frostytech.com

October 30, 2002
"The Aeroflow heat sink design, copper core and Tip-Magnetic Driving (TMD) fan opens up a whole new class of heat sinks and Vantec is there to lead the way."
~~www.hitechmods.com

October 28, 2002
"By combining the T.M.D Fan and AeroFlow Heatsink, Vantec has come up with one of the highest quality cooling devices I have ever tested. Not only does this allow the fan to move more air at slower fan speed but it enables the air stream to reach the central heat source much more directly. High performance and quiet operation."
http://www.thetechzone.com

October 28, 2002
"Vantec's Aeroflow is a very competitive P 4 cooling solution; especially note acceptable fan noise. Overall, an excellent balance between noise and performance." ~~www.overclockers.com

October 18, 2002
"Vantec have a great innovative product here. They always seem to push the envelope as far as PC cooling goes. The TMD fan not only performs well but looks great with its chrome surround and propeller like blades." ~~ www.Ascully.com

October 12, 2002
"The Aeroflow CPU Cooler becomes another valuable addition to Vantec's increasing line of quality heatsinks. The unit is visually striking to look at, and the TMD fan's low profile allows for a much larger profiled heatsink to be included without becoming overly bulky. An excellent contact area protected by a plastic coating until installation ensures a near perfect union between the heatsink and CPU."
~~ www.modthebox.com

October 10, 2002
"An copper core - aluminum base heatsink with a very secure clip that requires a screwdriver to mount. Vantec's Aeroflow is a very competitive Socket A cooling solution."
~~ www.overclockers.com

October 8, 2002
"The AeroFlow caught my eye when I opened the box. Its performance proves that you really can get good performance out of a relatively quiet heatsink. The TMD fan is a revolution on its own, and the actual design of the AreoFlow is attractive both in looks and performance. Bravo Vantec, your new Heatsink gets top marks from me."
~~ www.burnoutpc.com

October 2, 2002
"I honestly think Vantec did a great job trying to reproduce the 'ThermalEngine' technology heatsink. It's taken notes on the flaws of the two I've mentioned, and I'm very happy to see someone fix what was off: the centering of the core."
~~ www.ipkonfig.com

October 1, 2002
"This new technology/product is a real performance-killer, it managed to outperform any other HSF I tested so far.... This is one of those products you can't go wrong with: low price, nice design and real powerful. People who run Intel should not be disappointed because this HSF is also available for P4-Platforms."
~~ www.datafuse.com

September 20, 2002
"With the TMD cooling fan, the Vantec VA4-7040 is the quietest cooler in it's class. Actually, nothing even comes close! It is hard to imagine that an aluminum heatsink could perform just as good as a solid copper heatsinks but with less noise! With good performance and very little sound, it's hard not to stand behind this product."
~~ www.ciuboc.net

Agreed. I'll repeat my post from other threads relating to this nonsense.

Several posts in this thread are approaching (or have reached) flaming. You know who you are. Please clean this up and have a rational discussion.

-- Paul

No, but it is possible to flame respondents. I'm just urging some caution here. It seems to be taking hold. Thank you, and good night. -- Paul

I am going to choose to call tonight "Toys and myself have a heated discussion of the TMD technology in a whirlwind manner of distinction and respect."...and funny enough we both want the coolermaster Aero 7+ fan anyway, lol.

All is peaceful in the Apple camp ;)

Back