• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why increase power limit on 980 ti?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scph9002

I got mine on 100% with an oc of 1493/3954 1.274v and I have never seen my gpu downclock in games and the power usually jumps between 80 and 90 in demanding games and benchmarks except furmark.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Some hit the limit pretty easily. Not all cards are the same as far as how much power the bios gives it at 100% too. Look at the Giga GTX 970 Extreme I reviewed. Its power limit was 250W @ 100% or something crazy (its a 150W card normally) so it never came close even when overclocking. The ASUS card I have is different. I have more voltage to go and clocks but zero headroom on the power limit. I had to mod the bios to get past the 1533Mhz mark without it downclocking.

Which one do you have (perhaps update the sig :))?

Alaric

Those seem like some healthy OC numbers for that card. Is that representative of what the 980Ti will do generally ? Hoping for a new build soon and that might seal the deal on that card for me.

MNMadman

Mine won't get that high without over-volting a bit. With +110% power limit, +150 core offset, and +87mV overvolt (1.237v total), it will hit (and stay at) 1542.5 MHz under load. Memory stays at 4000 with a +500 offset.

OP
Scph9002

Scph9002

Some hit the limit pretty easily. Not all cards are the same as far as how much power the bios gives it at 100% too. Look at the Giga GTX 970 Extreme I reviewed. Its power limit was 250W @ 100% or something crazy (its a 150W card normally) so it never came close even when overclocking. The ASUS card I have is different. I have more voltage to go and clocks but zero headroom on the power limit. I had to mod the bios to get past the 1533Mhz mark without it downclocking.

Which one do you have (perhaps update the sig :))?

I got evga´s 980ti. But isnt the only thing affecting powerdraw voltage and gpu/mem speed? I got maximum possible voltage that the bios can be edited with.. I think

- - - Updated - - -

Those seem like some healthy OC numbers for that card. Is that representative of what the 980Ti will do generally ? Hoping for a new build soon and that might seal the deal on that card for me.

No. 1400-1440:ish seem to be the average on good aircooling. 1440 is max stable I could get with evga´s acsx2 cooler. I got ek watercooling now.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Voltage,core and memory speeds.. fan speeds, etc.

Your card may have a higher wattage for 100% power limit as I said earlier. :)

You can check by getting the bios out of gpuz, and putting it into maxwell bios editor aND see. ;)

MNMadman

Yeah, that's the bad thing with my EVGA Hydro Copper. It's a reference design card with 6+2 power phases and the standard 250W limit. It's just binned for higher clocks than the other EVGA reference design cards and will run cooler due to the liquid cooling. It's not any better power-wise though. There are several EVGA cards with better power systems.

FTW: 8+2, 275W
Classified: 14+3, 300W
K|ngp|n: 14+3, 300W

OP
Scph9002

Scph9002

Voltage,core and memory speeds.. fan speeds, etc.

Your card may have a higher wattage for 100% power limit as I said earlier. :)

You can check by getting the bios out of gpuz, and putting it into maxwell bios editor aND see. ;)

My current bios is not the stock bios and it seem to have like 10 different tables for power lol :p 8000 up to 450k mwatt for 100% which is 80 to 450 watt? Cant be right lol :p

Edit: This is the table im using I guess, the maximum % powerlimit (121) is the same as I can choose in programs like msi afterburner.

So my 100% power seem to be 350 watt with this bios :>

Untitled.jpg

Last edited: