• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is alot of 5800 cards near out of stock all most everwhere?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Living Waters

Registered
What is going on, is everyone wanting the Radeon HD 5800 cards because its the only card that is DX11? Nvidea need to hurry up and produce some DX11 cards out... I cant finish my build untill I get a DX11 card, well I hope they stock up in 2 weeks or I may have to wait longer :cry:

Ashura

Because of this:

On Friday the 30th, Digitimes broke the word that TSMC’s yields were back down to 40%. This we believe is due to issues TSMC is having ramping up overall 40nm production, but regardless of the reason it represents a 33% drop in usable chips per 40nm wafer. When you’re AMD and you’re rolling out a top-to-bottom 40nm product line in a 6 month period, this is a problem.

When the 5800 series launched, we knew supplies would initially be tight, but we had been expecting them to pick up. With these yield problems, that has not happened. Instead 5800 cards continue to be out of stock near-universally, even with the fact that most OEMs have yet to start using these cards. AMD’s current 5800 supplies are being exhausted just by Dell and self-builders.

Meanwhile NVIDIA started the end-of-life process for the GTX 200 series some time ago, with production of the GT200 GPU ramping down. So NVIDIA doesn’t need to play pricing games with AMD, as they’ve already planned on selling out anyhow.

With low supplies, no (single-GPU) performance competition, and no price competition, you have the perfect storm for a price hike.

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=654

SuperDave1685

Its because they simply kick ***. And the 5850 is one hell of a deal for price/performance. Plain and simple. Keep your eye on Newegg. Their real-time inventory is usually really good. I'd sign up for auto-notify, so you know when they get some in. They are also having some yield problems with the 40nm process, which is hindering the amount of cards available as well.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
You had better be on a monitor with AT LEAST 1920x1080/1200 res otherwise the single 5870 will be fine for anything under the sun. ;)

madhatter256

Special Member
Speaking of price hikes, something tells me that nVidia will shoot up the price, and then AMD will follow, but then one of the two will eventually drop.

Neural Net

that will do it some justice! Nice monitor!

I'm getting a second 5870 and a Lucid Hydra PCI-E card when it's released, if scaling is 10-20% better than crossfire as previews suggest. All for 1920x1200. I'll be overclocking them too. I like overkill. :soda:

shadin

The unexpected low yield only makes the issue worse, as there was going to be a shortage due to the popularity of the card, anyway. The same thing happened when the 8800GT launched, and it wasn't even as good a deal in price/performance as this series by a longshot.

ratbuddy

The unexpected low yield only makes the issue worse, as there was going to be a shortage due to the popularity of the card, anyway. The same thing happened when the 8800GT launched, and it wasn't even as good a deal in price/performance as this series by a longshot.

8800GT certainly was a better price to performance launch that the 5-series. It was going up against the 8800GTX which cost way more, and beat the pants off anything ATI had. I actually re-read the Anandtech 8800GT launch review yesterday looking for parallels, and while there were some, it's not much like we're seeing now.

The difference there was it was still widely available, just selling out fast and the price was inflated due to short supplies. That situation didn't last too long, couple months or so, and web vendors were getting regular shipments in.

With the 5-series, we're barely seeing any stock come in at all. Also, it would have to be priced at about $300 to beat the launch value of the 8800GT.