• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is AMD Wattman reading very different GPU activities for different games?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DK_874

Wattman Rocket League Profile.PNG BF1 Wattman.PNG

For whatever reason when I play Rocket League my graphics card is more stable and reaches its boost clock but the GPU activity is mostly at 0% and spikes up to 100%. When I play Battlefield 1 the opposite is true. My GPU activity stays at around 100% with minor dips but the GPU core clock doesn't reach it's max of 1212mhz. Any ideas? Is this a hardware malfunction or a software glitch? I feel when I run more demanding games my performance is hurt slightly. Thanks.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Looks to me like you have that backward rocket league reports 1045 and BF1 is saying 1212. Looks like Rocket league just doesn't work the GPU.

OP
D

DK_874

Thanks for pointing that out. For some reason the orange line in the Rocket League Profile the orange line reads 1212mhz while the peak is only 1045mhz. Is it normal for a card to not reach it's boost clock under load?

If the card isn't getting fully loaded, then yes, it could be deciding not to ramp up clocks. As Johan noted, Rocket League isn't really putting a 100% full time load on the card at 1045mhz, so it's not speeding up to compensate.

Saul Goodman

When I play Battlefield 1 the opposite is true. My GPU activity stays at around 100% with minor dips but the GPU core clock doesn't reach it's max of 1212mhz. Any ideas? Is this a hardware malfunction or a software glitch? I feel when I run more demanding games my performance is hurt slightly. Thanks.

Probably power throttling, less likely but possibly temperature throttling too.

Increase power limit % by 10-20% and see if it holds the full clock.