• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is my 360's 20GB HD only 10GB??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

My HD shows 10 or 11GB free with nothing installed. Just how it came. Includes a couple of 'welcome to Xbox' videos, a couple of very basic arcade demos. It only lists like 800MB of stuff installed.

Why is it telling me there's so little free space?? It's supposed to be a 20GB HD

This is a Jasper console (silver cd door, march 2009 12 amp) and it has a 20GB refurb HD on it.
The console may or may not be refurb I couldn't tell you... I payed so little for it I don't care either way.

My HD shows 10 or 11GB free with nothing installed. Just how it came. Includes a couple of 'welcome to Xbox' videos, a couple of very basic arcade demos. It only lists like 800MB of stuff installed.

Why is it telling me there's so little free space?? It's supposed to be a 20GB HD

This is a Jasper console (silver cd door, march 2009 12 amp) and it has a 20GB refurb HD on it.
The console may or may not be refurb I couldn't tell you... I payed so little for it I don't care either way.

You would only have 13GB free the rest of the HDD is used as cache for better system performance you can delete the videos if you want to there nothing special.

Dont delete Hexic HD thou because there is no way to get it back if you want to install games to the HDD then only one would probably fit you might want to consider looking at a 60GB but best bet would be the 120GB depends on cost thou.

I had a 20GB Premium in 2007 only had 13GB free when I booted it up and deleted the useless Addidas video and demos to Viva Pinata and Test Drive Unlimited, I now have a 60GB and I had 49GB free I think can't remember.

Some correct me if I am wrong... But I vaguely remember the NXE taking up alot of HDD space... the dashboard thing and then updates and such... try connecting the HDD to your comp and see what is on there etc..

Some correct me if I am wrong... But I vaguely remember the NXE taking up alot of HDD space... the dashboard thing and then updates and such... try connecting the HDD to your comp and see what is on there etc..

I may be confusing my releases because there have been too damned many revisions but I believe the NXE resides in the 256 or 512MB of onboard RAM that was newly added onto the Jasper units. It does on the one I just bought last week.

I don't know about the newer units since I bought an arcade and oridinally had a 20GB then upgraded by buying the 60GB add-on but on my original 20GB it had a lot of crap on it like some kind of making of Titanic James Cameron HD presentation and some snowboarding thing in HD and a few music videos. That crap took up a ton of space. Check your video content and see if there is anything to delete.

I know at least on the older units nxe resides on the hard drive. that is why nxe first came out there was a whole bunch of cheap options for arcade users to get additional storage space.

I think after deleting all the crap that was on the hard drive I had like 13.6 gigs or something like at pre-nxe. The space they give you is more than adequate for savegames and quite a bit of DLC though. I downloaded all the Halo map packs and like 200 Rockband songs and still had a couple gigs left. You will only really run into an issue I think if you want to copy games to your hard drive or if you want to copy lots of music to your hard drive.

I only have GH metallica right now.

How do you copy a game to the HD? You can 'install' games?

I have to buy the BS overpriced MS HD right?

I can't just take $20 to the computer store and buy a refurb 250GB and slam it in can I?

When I look at my HD contents on the Xbox it lists GH metallica as like 500MB or 800 or something?

Maybe 400?

GH Metallica installed a new OS (dashboard?) when I installed it...

I only have GH metallica right now.

How do you copy a game to the HD? You can 'install' games?

I have to buy the BS overpriced MS HD right?

I can't just take $20 to the computer store and buy a refurb 250GB and slam it in can I?

When I look at my HD contents on the Xbox it lists GH metallica as like 500MB or 800 or something?

Maybe 400?

GH Metallica installed a new OS (dashboard?) when I installed it...

You CAN use certain other hard drives but they're a hassle and look horrendous with a SATA cable run to them. Only certain models work.

To install the game to the HDD, instead of pressing A at the game title under the My Xbox blade on the NXE, press Y and it will give you an install option. The disc still has to be in the drive but it only accesses it once to authenticate.

What do you use all that space for? It seems past liek 60Gb or so the space is only really usefull for media, and 60gb is only if you are installing a ton of games (which hasnt really seemed to help that much to me) it seems like it would be much more effective to just buy a 1Tb external or use your PC for your media then have a 60gb or maybe 120gb for saves, DLC and installing games.

What do you use all that space for? It seems past liek 60Gb or so the space is only really usefull for media, and 60gb is only if you are installing a ton of games (which hasnt really seemed to help that much to me) it seems like it would be much more effective to just buy a 1Tb external or use your PC for your media then have a 60gb or maybe 120gb for saves, DLC and installing games.

I like how the games run and how much quieter the system is when installed to the HDD. For my music and movies and stuff I do use a 1TB USB HDD.

I like how the games run and how much quieter the system is when installed to the HDD. For my music and movies and stuff I do use a 1TB USB HDD.

I just noticed that too i installed the GH metallica and it is faster of course from the HD and also the loud optical drive isn't annoying me while I play

+1 for installing games to xbox360 hdd. Much quieter, loading times reduced. I have my console networked anyway so I can play anything on my computer thru windows media player on the console. Easy to set up, guide HERE if you're interested.

Back