• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is my PC overheating when all the fans are working?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
overheating can happen for several reasons. It may be that a component is malfunctioning. It may be a hardware driver that isn’t behaving well. But more than likely, it’s because your airflow system isn’t operating as well as it should be. Your computer’s case may be full of dust, something may be blocking your computer’s vents, or you may just have a compact laptop that was never designed to run at maximum performance for hours on end.

So....Gig X58 board with a 115w 4c/8t processor.
You're a little hot at idle. Should be in the 35c-40c range.
Stock cooler I assume?
I'd repaste and see if that makes a difference.
If that don't do it, better cooler, better fans.
They're hot running processors man.

You're getting a warning on Easytune because your warning set point is set to 40c. You need to move that up to around 70-75c
Better yet, don't use that program at all. Remove it.
This.

Use Realtemp or Coretemp for temperatures... or Hwinfo if you want to see EVERY. SINGLE. DETAIL. :)

X58 can be just plain hot. X58 hates Mother Nature, especially her trees and polar bears. And it also has no qualms about punishing your electric bill. Point is it’s just plain hot. You need to move some air in your case. Not a ton but they don’t make good silent systems that seem to be fashionable these days.

It is a 130W CPU, but it can be cooled fairly easily considering its process node and die size (compared to the much more dense and smaller die sizes of today which use LESS power but have higher temps).

Yeah, the chipsets there can run warm. Many had a fan on them, in fact. A bit of case airflow does go a long way. :)

Reseated the heatsink with new thermal paste but PC is still too hot.

OK I cleaned the inside of my PC and reseated the heatsink but despite that (and the Fall-ing ambient temperatures) my computer is still running ~10°C too hot. :-/

new_hwinfo_6.10.png

Twenty years ago people bought... what do you call them? ...plastic inserts to contour the airflow inside their cases. Do people still do that? Does it still work? I'm thinking it might be applicable in my case because part of my problem may be the wires and hdds interrupting the air flow from the front vents to heatsink fans.

I'm hesitant to spend $60 on on a new fan which may or may not be better than the one I have, when for a few times that I could get a new PC.

Going through some the posted info BIOS is FB 2nd release (MB Rev 1.6 or 1.7) might try loading the latest and see if that helps. The high temps don't look that bad but lows are high based on the second HWinfo which was running for 7 minutes.

You can try to move more air in your case, or try to rig something up so you can spot cool certain areas. Be creative :thup:

It won't boot :(

Going through some the posted info BIOS is FB 2nd release (MB Rev 1.6 or 1.7) might try loading the latest and see if that helps.

I updated the BIOS and... it won't boot. Specifically, it powers up for a second, powers off, powers up, powers off. :shock: Over and over. I had to unplug it :( My first thought, based on my limited experience, is that the BIOS update changed the peak power draw at boot and my 550W PSU doesn't have enough power to supply it. :(

have you tried clearing the cmos? does your mb have dual bios or flashback available?

I think there's a ROM backup built in that would restore my previous BIOS but it doesn't get far enough into the boot process for that to happen. It's only on for like a second before it powers off. Haven't tried clearing the CMOS, no.

Also tried removing the RAM modules and reinserting them one by one. Same deal, no change.

Logomachis, as I tried to point out to you in post #19 it looks like your drive is failing or has failed (by now). Your sector reallocation count has been exceeded and that was months ago. Other things have apparently gone wrong since then and it sounds like you bricked your bios with the update, but for sure your hard drive has problems.

And you never have created a Signature yet.

For starters, Never never never store a PC in the attic, also it looks like the wrong BIOS was flashed if your in a boot loop (NOT Fruit Loops) :rofl:
To force the PC to boot on the backup BIOS, press and hold the power and reset buttons until it turns off, then turn the PC on, it should boot on the backup BIOS.

Back