• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is my TH7-II so HOT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nigely

i have a th7-11 and its running very very hot
[email protected] idle is 44C

i have seen a diff one using gigabyte mother board and same speed cpu running 29c

is it the motherboard which is faulty?

anyone can help?
thanks

Cooler666

Disabled
My idle temperature is 42 Celcius, very hot indeed :cool:
but i blame it on my hot Aopen power supply

OP
N

nigely

my friends full load is 44c
and my idle is 44c
something is wrong
i have changed his cpu to test, so its not the cpu
i have changed to diff power supply, and its very cool running in office
so what else could it be
its annoying me so much that i cant run it at 2.5ghz, becoz of the heat

Cooler666

Disabled
my full load is 53 Celcius, but that's because i have only one case fan, or maybe i think that's the reason
are you using arctic silver, how good is your case ventilation and what heasink are you using?

OP
N

nigely

the temp i wrote is with the case open
and iam using arkua heatsink with 8cm delta .51a 4000rpm fan blowing down
using ST360 for the paste
this temp is abnormal
its more than 10c between my home and office?
my friends house is same temp as in office and his not having the A/C on
so the only diff between me and my friend is the motherboard

OP
N

nigely

i get 44c when i start my computer
and in office is about 32-34c
so anyone can explain ?
iam so mad with this board
my cpu can run 2.5ghz or more, i mean stable
but becoz of the heat i now only running 2ghz with ram at 500

dankal

Registered
No ,its not RDRAM ,my temp are even higher than yours , 46°C idle ,55 °C load (even 61 with P95 !) system 1 temp is 32°C (its winbond chip temp and not intel 850 temp )and the last probe is on RDRAM and is only 24°C (28 with P95) , that is for a P4 1,6A @[email protected],62V , [email protected]=450 with HS Coolermaster h 52d.
I have a Lian Li alu case with 2 80 mm intake fans in front ,one 80mm exhaust on back + 2 of Enermax PSU so airflow should be good except that two hd are behind the intake fans but are well cooled! I ordered an AVC Sunflower HS to replace the Coolermaster and will put an exhaust slot fan , i hope it will be enough otherwise i get the new Alpha HS .
I dont understand how people can get 35°C idle and 42°c with stock Intel fan and only 2 case fans for same cpu speed than me !

OP
N

nigely

i thought it was the IHS for once, but i now know its not
the temp i was telling is 1.6ghz , not overclocked, i even get this temp with [email protected]
so i must think that this board has some problem

Cooler666

Disabled
When my board is not overclocked i also get Idle 42 load 53 Celcius, the temperatures were even higher with the stock hsf

dankal

Registered
i think it might just be the termal probe of the board for the cpu which is inaccurate .
I dont think a die temp of 40 °C is realist for a 1,6A at full load and OC at 2400Mhz .Temp in the 50 are ok but should not go over 60 for too long !

gipat

1.6a @2g mem @ 500 1 intake fan on front two exaust at back stock fan and hs 36c idle 45c full load. riased the power supply and hacked out the metal and put in a hood over the mobo with two fans, dropped all of the temps by about 5c.

DragonRider

Registered
I have posted two other messages about this. I have had the exact same thing for over a month now. I done just about everthing execpt move my computer to the nearest walk-in freezer and compute from there. After about 4 times of making sure I have the ASIII, heatsink and everthing else perfect I still get 45c idle and 53c full-load(prime). When playing Jedi I get around 52c. I am with you and believe the temps are wrong!!! It has something to do with the board but hard to compare with other TH7-II's. Maybe Abit is aware and will send something out about it.

p1.6a northwood @2.1/133
Thermaltake 478

Cooler666

Disabled
My 1.8A is @ 2.4ghz now, when i play RTCW i reach of temperatures of 58Celcius :eek:

I think the case temperatures are wrong as well i get temperatures of 38 Celcius, when i connect that thermometer to the motherboard i get 32 Celcius.

OP
N

nigely

yes i have tried everything to make the case cool
but its still too hot, in bios when i overclock to 2.5ghz its more than 50c

TC

Senior Seti Addict
Actually I think it's just the Abit bios and/or its hardware monitor circuit. I moved my 2.2 NW from an Asus P4TE to the Abit - exact same system except for the mobo. My cpu temps are about 20F higher on average at idle and under load. I don't buy it.

OP
N

nigely

are you saying that its the motherboard's monitor is giving the wrong temp, or you saying that th7-2 is making more heat than others?

DragonRider

Registered
Hey,
I am not sure. Most of the posts I've seen about it being a little hot on the TH7-II are 1.6 norths. I have not seen any on the other norths. It maybe the 1.6 norths or it could be a batch of TH7-II's combined with the 1.6 north's or it could be just the TH7-II's. I think it is the combination of 1.6 north's and the TH7-II's. When you put those two together for some reason it either runs hot or it is not giving a true readout on the temps.
Thanks

Opps disregard did not see the post above yours. So, it would seem that the board itself is not giving a true temp. Which is what I was thinking all along because when overclocked it is smooth as silk.
Thanks

8_ball

I get similar temps with my 1.6a on my bd7-raid (@1.6Ghz idle 40C, load 50C) at the default voltage. This is with the stock heatsink, as3 and one side of the case open (although opening the case doesn't really move much air through it - I need a few more case fans). I have reseated the heatsink/processor/retention mechanism and reapplied as3 but get no change in temp - however when doing this I noticed part of the cpu heatspreader (~15%) had not been in contact with the heatsink (the as3 was perfectly smooth here); I haven't checked it since but it may be that either the heatspreader or the heatsink is not perfectly flat - I would try lapping them but I'm getting a volcano 7+ soon.